Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions

DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions 3 years 1 month ago #19824

• skymakai
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
I just started up the Megaset 2.0.1 and started playing around with it on my Push.
Immediately, I was stoked to play around with the clips, and instruments.
I did, however, get very frustrated when I tried to use the dummy clips. I was able to push the pads in the drum rack, but I didn't hear any sound from them. I scoured the manual, looking for the answer, but didn't find it anywhere I looked.
I watched the Overview video for the template for the 3rd or 4th time... and finally found that the Send A is the way to get audio to the Dummy FX Channels.
Reviewing the manual, I find that section 5.2, the Dummy Sender, is the only hind at how to get the dummy clips working.
I'm a seasoned Live user... been using Live since version 5... and still, I found this a challenge.
I'd like to suggest that the manual be updated to reflect a more complete understanding on how to use the dummy clips and effects, without the use of the Max for Live devices... just using the Push (or mouse).
Also, I found using the computer keyboard to switch between dummy FX to be counterintuitive, since the idea of using the Push is to not have to use anything else. Perhaps using the User Mode on the push, to select the FX... or changing the template to make it's workflow simpler, would be good.

And as a side note suggestion:
It would be great to mark what key and scale each song is in, so that playing instruments with the songs could be easier to do with the Push scaled pads. One could set the Push to the appropriate scale, and jam away...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yonah

DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions 3 years 1 month ago #19850

• delicious killer
  • Thank you received: 2
At least you can use it...I want to so badly. Absolutely love, love all templates and projects especially the psytrance template. Megaset slows my comp down so much...when I open task manager it says Abelton Live is using over 2 gigs of RAM. Is this normal? Hopefully ive done something wrong....I mean theoretically its only playing so much at once...but even if im not playing any clips its hogging processor.....not trying to hijack thread though...first impressions are at awe to the work put into this and the price it is made available. May Tom be blessed beyond measure and karma is coming my friend.

DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions 3 years 1 month ago #19864

• skymakai
When I load the Megaset in Live 9 (32 bit) it takes almost 3GB of RAM, and takes a while to load, even on my Mac w/ i7 Quad Core, SSD, and 16GB of RAM.
I've loaded the set in 64 Bit Live, and found it takes more than 3GB of RAM, and it's not faster in 64 bit mode... actually, Live froze a few times.
Either way, loading the set makes my system slow down for a minute or so, until everything loads.

As an experiment, thinking that removing the samples would make the set very quick to load, I removed all of the samples.
The set still is just under 2GB in size, and takes a minute to load.

As another experiment, I also removed the instruments (removing custom racks and song content) from the set. Then, it comes in using under 800MB of RAM, and loads quickly... no slowdown on my system.

It's a monster of a set, by default, but can be minimized for 'normal' systems. Perhaps a 'lite' version is in order, as well.

DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions 3 years 1 month ago #19875

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
Thanks for the insight guys. I've noticed that the Max for Live LFO can sometimes hang up, which is included in the Shepards track. I'll go through all this when I am back at base in a few weeks.

I think a lite version might be in order!

DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions 3 years 1 month ago #20066

• Timmy Put
SO deep, Can't wait for the more extensive tutorial on sequencing dummy clips!!
T

DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions 2 years 10 months ago #21044

• dversetto
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
I find that things run better if I turn WiFi off. (On my laptop) Just sayin.

DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions 2 years 4 months ago #22933

• Buß
Hey Tom & all the other people here :),
i'm really like all the stuff you do and i fuckin love your tutorials...always a great way to get some inspiration!!! Thanks for that!
I just downloaded the DJMegsaet and played around with it! First impression: Awesome to play mixtures somewhere between live and dj sets!! Fuckin Great!

But there is something which drives me crazy :)
I put your eq to my midi controller (A&h Xone K2) and start dj'jing...and after some minutes i recognized, that the the eq's are a little strange...if i turn my knobs around the center (0 db) and start turning them up or down, it brings the "eq low" up or down for at least 0,5 - 1db....what sound pretty hard if u want to bring something in or out really slowly....
and the second point is, that the eq low cuts almost all the frequencys to at least 300 hz
is it possible to adjust the "freq low" like in the "eq three"?
Best Greeting from Germany
Patrick

P.S.: Keep pushin! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SkyDeep

DJ Megaset 2.0.1 First Impressions 1 year 5 months ago #24517

• SkyDeep
I love the set up and can't wait to dig in some more. Two issues....

**Yes. I agree with the above comment about the Low EQ's. I tried it in a live dj set and it was such a big and fast drop in the bass range that it took away the vibe. I couldn't really transition slowly.

** the other thing... I tried recording my set but when I play it back, the automation keeps greying out and doesn't work properly. Even when I click the button with the arrow in for the automation arrangement view, it just keeps turning red again. So ultimately, I was excited to publish my set from that night but all my transitions aren't bouncing with the track. Any ideas?

I also checked the IAC driver with it ON or OFF... I still have the same problem. Even with no midi controllers connected.

I'm using: Live 9.2.1
and Yosemite 10.10.5

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by SkyDeep. Reason: added software details

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts