Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Beginner's questions on Megaset 2

Beginner's questions on Megaset 2 2 years 1 day ago #23949

• alba63
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hi,
I am Bernhard from Berlin, I am new here and almost new on Ableton (former Cubase user). I have learned a lot through some free Youtube videos of Tom Cosm, and therefore subscribed here.
So I have a few (beginner's) questions on the Megaset, sorry if they are quite "beginner-ish".
- Do I understand correctly that in the individual tracks there are no Midi clips, only recorded Audio + the effect tracks?
- If this is the case: While there is already a lot to learn about how to build up a track, how to make a good rhythm etc, it would still be very educating and useful to see an example of at least 1 or 2 Midi tracks that show how these synth lines can be created.
- Audio files are a little bit like a black box here, you hear the output, but hard to understand how these are programmed.
- Is there information here or elsewhere what instruments were used to produce those sounds and tracks? Exclusively/ mainly Ableton synths, or also 3rd party VST instruments or even external gear?

That's it for now...
Bernie

-
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Beginner's questions on Megaset 2 2 years 1 day ago #23951

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
HI Bernhard,
There's been a few iterations of the mega set. It started out as a way to allow you to play a 'live' set of your own music (although Tom provided some examples of his work), remixing live. It did this by splitting songs up into different sections (e.g. into, verse, breakdown, etc) and different instrument groups (e.g kick. drums, bass, lead, pads, fx, other). These clips were placed in the session view together with the dummy clip driven effects tracks, there was even a video on how to prepare you own tracks to fit this format.
The latest version of the mega set takes a more traditional view allowing you to play out other peoples songs (although nothing stopping you dropping a few of your own), together wth the dummy clip driven fx.
However Tom has complete courses available to teach ableton, sound design, song creation, etc. Some are available for free via his youtube channel or the free resources section of this website, the best bits are saved for subscribers and are available in the pro resources section. Some are getting a little dated now and aren't based on the latest version of live, but are still valid and some of the best Ive watched. There used to be a 10+ part course you could buy on CD but not sure where the links gone now, it is still available in the pro section for download though. Personally Id recommend you subscribe when you have some spare time and then grab what you can use/learn from. That's what I did but I liked it here so much I stayed!

Beginner's questions on Megaset 2 2 years 10 hours ago #23957

• alba63
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Thank you for your answer. I actually already have subscribed for the pro section, I just didn't have an overview over the pro contents, I now discovered several videos - a whole series actually - about the basics of electronic production and sound design. 10 videos of almost 1 hour each, with loads of information. I will start to slowly work through them, in order to use Ableton the way I want to...

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts