Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Controller Recomendation for Live

Controller Recomendation for Live 2 years 1 month ago #24059

Hi Everybody!

Here is my first question on this forum.

Give me please some recommendation for choosing additional midi-controller for Live. I've already Launschpad S, but as is well-known it has no triggers, only knobs. I've conclude that it's very inconvenient to make music without triggers and knobs.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. Sorry for my English it's not my native language. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Controller Recomendation for Live 2 years 1 month ago #24061

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
I had the original Launchpad which was ok for clips, but now have Ableton Push.
Push is brilliant, hardly touch the mouse these days except copy, paste stuff or to finish a track off in arrangement view.

Controller Recomendation for Live 2 years 1 month ago #24105

• Paul81
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
How is the Push for use as a synth. For playing melodies and to make basslines and sythlines.

Controller Recomendation for Live 2 years 1 month ago #24107

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
yeah find the push great especially for jamming and improvising to come up with ideas. You can set the key and scale and have it hide all the notes that aren't in the scale, or you can have those present but 'dimmed'.
You might need to play around with the velocity curves to find one you like. Its got aftertouch too which is great to link to the synth parameters. Also a pitch bend but i do miss a mod wheel. You can also use the 8 knobs at the top to control synth settings but you have to put a vst into a rack and add macro buttons for this (unless you use a live instrument).

Controller Recomendation for Live 2 years 1 month ago #24108

• Paul81
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds like it's a pretty complete controller for Ableton live studio/software. If you set up a project with some instruments and effect(box)s you can do ALOT of the (raw)production without having to go into the live window - using the mouse mostly to navigate between tracks and instruments etc. Have to get round to buying one myself. Need a proper soundcard to use with my laptop, also, I guess.
What's peoples experience with an external soundcard. Is it essential - to get good sound, if you have all the input/output channels you need? Have seen in videoes that those that have Apple mac laptops often have a volume control - (an apple product in the same design) connected to the laptop. No, I should look it up on the net and not ask questions.
Thanks for the answer! Enjoy working in the studio :cheer:

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts