Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: New ways to improve pro member experience

New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3043

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
Hey team,

Recently someone has ripped all my content and spread it around the pirate sites. Bound to happen someday :)

The obvious direction now is to really focus on making the experience of being a Pro Member unique... something the pirates can't get... so I am interested in ideas from you on what we can all do to make this site a better place.

I can change the site in many ways, and have a budget dedicated if needed to spend on development.

I'm really keen on helping make this place somewhere you want to come back and check every day.

I'm thinking of a more interactive homepage for pro members, a front splash page when you log in with various things....

Ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3046

• BillyMoon
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 3
is there any way to protect your future video content by making it streaming to pro members only?

it is quite nice not to have a browser open while watching the video especially if you are running quicktime and live at the same time as I've been doing.

Just my first thought tho ... I'll have more.

- BM

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3049

• Syikom
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Pirates just like in the old days ruin it for everyone but they are a fact of life so lets move on.The chat room is a good idea, maybe we could have a regular time and topic of the week idea so we can all chat about FM drums or Operator or Corpus ?
Pro member compilation track-list?
Competitions , ie program your best bass sound with native LIVE instrument and win a prize.Voltage Disciple would be happy to offer some of its LIVE packs as prizes for this idea.
Sample section- make some original samples upload to Cosm .com pro members vote best ones are made available to pro members.
LIVE FAQ section
LIVE Tip section
Thats enough from me :-/

www.voltagedisciple.com
LIVE Packs and Synth Sounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulyvinyl

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3062

• michaelknead
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 22
1. A platform for tune colaborations. Become pro - get involved. And learn from each other.

2. promote your music. Pro members are obviously serious about music production and will have their own tunes produced. Give them a platform! Affiliate with soundcloud or myspace, maybe even with a record label...
The following user(s) said Thank You: FadedShadows

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3065

• fcarroll
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 37
Great idea Michael, maybe each week or month one pro member would submit some samples or stems (as if they were a client for a remix) and the other pro-members could come up with a short tune. Everyone gets a chance to submit and it would be optional to enter. The person who submits the samples would pick the one they enjoyed (not a winner ;) ) most.

As a newbie I love to see how others make their music, what ever it is, thats why i love Tom's videos so much. Its a great way to learn.

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3078

• timbowek
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hi, well like "BillyMoon" said you could live stream videos making it more exclusive for ProMembers who really want to learn. :P

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3095

• nomadtrsh
Just raise the price of pro membership...
Knowledge is expensive eveywhere, anyone who can afford full license of ableton surely can afford 200 $ per year for pro membership.You didn't find Your knowledge on the street.... everyone of us working hard for this

or am i wrong?

this site is a dreamland for all users of ableton and any other software, because it can change approach to any kind of music and any other software....

dont kill me:-))and sorry for bad english :blush:

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3101

• Shredcheddar
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
While I know I would be willing to pay more for a pro membership, many may not. People don't usually like paying more to get the same thing!

I'm a huge fan of the ideas on the previous page, I would love to be massively involved in that kind of stuff. :)

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3102

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
Thanks guys I have been thinking a lot about this! Some great suggestions, please keep them coming.

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3105

• KNutKase5000
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
I think if you have time you should start making more tutorials (ask people what they want to see...i want to see how you make drum presets and loops)...and make teaser trailer type things for the regular members

another idea i had was to create presets/live packs and allow the pro-members to add their own presets/live pack and share them w/ other people i would def. add some cool patches i've made

... and allow some more under 18 people in...i know a few who said they tried but never got responded to about it and arent pro members still

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3117

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
Alright thanks again for the suggestions guys.

So far here are the ones that sound like they are the go. I will list them as seperate topics in this forum so I can let you know my thoughts as to how they can be acheived, and what problems we might face. Please check them out and let me know your thoughts.

-Tom

Re: New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3144

• DamonBreakz
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 332
Hey Tom,

I've noticed quite a few posts on the Pro-forum with no replies. I've posted 3 posts myself and not one person has replied. That kind of makes me feel disconnected and not really part of a group...boo hoo ='( hehe . I guess if I had messaged you direct you would have answered though. one quesiton was about PC keyboard mapping but I've gone away already and found a solution, and I was able to speak to you on MSN the other day which was cool and you dealt with a suggestion for the site there and then, very quickly. I am thinking that perhaps there are times when you are on tour and can't access the net so easily to respond to messages and check the forums - perhaps is there a way you can get a couple of trusted friends to help moderate to ensure all posts get some kind of reply/closure within a few days, that way it keeps the forum lively and moving.

Also, I have a great idea for a way Pro-members can collaborate, I'll post that separately somewhere.

coolness,

DamonBreakz

Re: New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3232

• Kryten
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey there,
I have a few ideas to this:

- For the thing DamonBreakz mentioned(and yorue right there):
In another producers foprum im into there is some kind of reputation system implemented. If you answer someones questions, post a tutorial or other helpful stuff, users can give you reputation for that as thanks.
Maybe this could be implemented to make people help each other more or post more useful stuff in generel. Ofc there could be benefits implemented too for those with high rep.

- For the ProMembers:
I dont think raising the price will do any good. Im happy to pay the 10 bucks per month now and its worth it. But if that would get more I am not sure if I really would want to pay it every month still. I think it will scare more people off.

For the videos:
Its cool that they can be downloaded that easy for the pro members, but its clear that these vids will be shared by some people and eventually "pirated" and distributed for free. I think a good solution for that would be to use a video hosting site such as vimeo. It supports HD videos, is fast and you can create non-public conted where only invited people(like pro members) have access.
Ofc technically it could still be ripped, but only with a lot more effort.

Cheers,
Kryten

Re: New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3233

• Syikom
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Dear DamonBreakz,
We try to answer as many post as we can here at cosm .com so sorry you feel that way. Keep posting and hopefully we can help:-/

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3297

• LightChild
I like the idea of a live ustream class like once a month where we can all get together and learn more. I also like the idea of a chatroom for pro members. The site is great and $10 a month is nothing considering we spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on software and equipment.

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3344

• FrequenSea
  • Thank you received: 4
I think live streaming some tutorials on different topics once every couple of weeks (you gotta rest some time) would be a HUGE benefit. I mean, especially for new producers. Say one week you could tackle frequency ranges for an hour, live stream it, and we could all follow along if we would like. It'd almost be like taking classes in audio production. I don't know, just an idea. Then again I can't fathom how people couldn't afford ten bucks a month. .

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3459

• JStanley
  • Thank you received: 14
FrequenSea wrote:
Then again I can't fathom how people couldn't afford ten bucks a month. .
I don't think it's an issue of "can't afford", it's that the intertubes is a culture where free (as in beer and as in speech) is the norm. Most "pirates" don't even realize they are pirates, filesharing is a gift culture (and anthropologically speaking, more natural) while copyright is an economic restriction. Two hundred years ago the copyright system made sense, with digital copies it gets all wonky and artificial.

Ironically I found this site because of the pirated videos. I joined to get access for one month only to download the rest. For the quality of what Tom makes and instructs on, what he charges is criminal (to himself). If you look at the sites that partner with Ableton for training and how much they charge for how stupidly basic their information is you quickly realize how much knowledge is contained in the videos on this site.

My thought would be to beat the pirates at their own game and view the past videos as marketing materials. Give them away for free after a period of time, let the people who would pay you for them do so and get them early as they come out. Vimeo is probably a good solution for this, though I don't know much about the viewing restrictions or how you would automate that with a subscription service.

The longer videos are great and very in-depth. But I think the suggestion of doing a smaller topic more often would be the way to go on this. If you had something once a week or two it would be a great rate.

Topics I'd be interested in:
- Mastering my own songs for publication using nothing but the tools in Live or free software.
- We've covered Operator, Analog and the samplers pretty well, what about Tension and Collision?
- More vocal processing! The gate stuff was great, I hunger for more info.
- Tips for "humanizing" samples with sample zones (in fact, Sampler is f'ing awesome, this could be a whole hour itself)
- Getting the most out of Amp and Cabinet
- Howto make your own tutorial videos using nothing but a mic and Quicktime (get some collabs going!)

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 9 months ago #3460

• JStanley
  • Thank you received: 14
Also, adding Dropbox was great. Is there a way we can have a section for adding patches to Operator and different racks to share and improve on? Most of my time in Live is creating my tools, the last 20% is getting my idea down musically.

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 8 months ago #3513

• djkz
I've had an idea for a site that would be equivalent to the SourceForge, but for music, but due the time constraints i've had to abandon the project (for now).

Anyway, here is a list of some of the ideas i've had for that site, i'm sure you might like some of them. Feel free to comment on the list.

Open source music projects. Ideally licensed under creative commons.
Tutorial section searchable by tags (i.e. bassline, dubstep).
Instrument library that can have different instruments created through operator, etc. searchable as above.
Sample library for sharing samples and vocals.
Ability to request/bid on a track, sample or a vocal that you could use in your own project.

Pretty much i wanted it to be a learning tool for beginner musicians, a place to share ideas for more advanced ones and a promotional tool and a marketplace for the experts.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by djkz.

Re:New ways to improve pro member experience 6 years 8 months ago #3563

• Deathkills
a pro member album
maybe a tune comp every month and at the end of the year a 12 track album?

or a comp writing a type of track you never write i.e. trance would write a dnb, or vise versa. getting people to approach writing from different eyes.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts