Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: An Experiment in Kollektiv Komposition

An Experiment in Kollektiv Komposition 4 years 9 months ago #13352

Hello friends. Longtime Tom Cosm disciple here, posting for the first time.

I'm a college student studying Music Theory and Composition pretty seriously. I've been a huge fan of electronic music for years, and have tried my hand at production more than a few times, but I never had much of a knack for sound design.

Lately I've been toying with the idea of taking the MIDI information from a composition and handing it over to a community like this. I'm amazed by the infinite varieties of sounds achievable from the same MIDI.

I've attached two pieces to this post. The first is by Charles Ives, who left all his music in the public domain and didn't believe in copyright law. The second is a tune I wrote for a rock band several years ago. It's intended to be played with a live lead guitar, which is why it may sound a little "empty" or lacking in melody.

My hope is that YOU (the fabulous, gifted, young producer) will take this MIDI and realize it in whatever manner sounds good in your head. If enough people do this, we could wind up with dozens of different versions of the same composition, all of which sound radically different while still stemming from the same MIDI. My hope would be that the MIDI remains, unaltered, in each version of the song, but with the freedom left to you through velocities, mixing, instrumentation, etc., you're able to approach the MIDI in your own way. I have no problem with you turning a synth line into a percussion line, do whatever you feel like doing!

The Ives' piece is unique. You'll find little to relate it to in terms of EDM genres. That's part of what makes it exciting to me. It should be set to around 95 BPM.

In "Liminal Space," you'll recognize definite patterns of dubstep, psytrance, and other EDM genres. That also is exciting to me. The BPM should be set to 160, with a time signature and tempo change in measure 41. It changes to 5/4 at 200 BPM for 8 bars, changing back to 4/4 and 160 BPM at measure 49.

Let me know if you follow through on this idea, or if you have any questions about this project and its intentions. Also, let me know if you know of similarly minded projects or communities where I could share this MIDI with more fabulous, gifted, young producers.

Thanks,
Part of the Kollektiv
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by The Kollektiv.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: An Experiment in Kollektiv Komposition 4 years 9 months ago #13353

Whoops, the Ives piece didn't attach. Here it is, "The Unanswered Question" in a ZIP file.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by The Kollektiv. Reason: file didn't attach

Re: An Experiment in Kollektiv Komposition 4 years 9 months ago #13356

• BiepTon
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 18
Hey man, love the idea you put out here, I think I might give this a go. I find it very hard to come up with melodies and chord progressions myself because of my limited musical background so working with experienced people like yourself can only make things better. I hope others will join in this too!

Re: An Experiment in Kollektiv Komposition 4 years 9 months ago #13358

• Spunje
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 17
ill give it a go :)

Re: An Experiment in Kollektiv Komposition 4 years 9 months ago #13359

Cool! Thanks guys.

I also recommend heading over to www.classicalmidiconnection.com if you're interested in finding sweet public domain MIDI. I had some fun the other day loading up Bach's "Brandenburg Concerto" into Ableton and hearing that harpsichord shred :laugh:

Really though...

3:05 onward is pure shredding.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by The Kollektiv.

Re: An Experiment in Kollektiv Komposition 4 years 9 months ago #13470

If anyone's confused by the Ives thing... I just found this awesome similarly-minded version by Isao Tomita.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts