Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Cosmic Core Classics Megaset

Cosmic Core Classics Megaset 2 years 5 months ago #23128

• DamonBreakz
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 332
Hi guys,

You are going to think I am insane to mention this before finishing our Trance from the Core which has dragged out, and before Cosmic Core Volume III is even started....BUT.. I have a pretty good idea which I am excited about and I think it would be a great project for Cosmic Core to do.

So, part of the problem of getting out playing is that to make enough material for a 1 hour live set, for example, just takes so damn long to put together by ourselves. And as a group we are spread out across the globe, so it is hard to meet up and do a gig together. Also getting inspiration and working on arrangements can be tricky.

My idea is that we work together as a group to produce a 'Classic Rave/Dance' megaset that can be played out by any member(s) of Cosmic Core, using Live and any controllers people want to use, or even extra external kit running alongside it to add extra sounds, to produce an awesome live show that can be played out by us, anywhere in the world.

So, if you wanted to do a gig, you'd just get the megaset , load it up and play elements of it or trigger and add fx live in what ever way you you feel. We could even include visual elements with Max.

No matter where it was being performed in the world, we could bill the live act as something like "Cosmic Core LIVE featuring [Artist name] and [Artist name]". it would be a way of getting our name out and working together. I travel a bit myself and could meet up with Lucky One or 9000 Knobs in Belgium for example, or with K37 , Blacksun and Mr Fork in UK etc... we could meet up with any other Cosmic Core person in the world and rock the show!.

To kick off the idea we would need to make a list of MAINSTREAM classic 'dance/club' classics. Tunes that were hits all over the globe. Tunes that already have followed the recipe for success. We can get this form compilation CDs if need be.

We then would recreate them , either using the same source samples that the original artist did (Amens, sample CDs etc) or using new samples/recordings to emulate the original or produce a version that still is easily identified as the original but in a slightly different way, perhaps a different instrument or rhythm, but not something that is too far removed from the recognised track.

We still want to capture that original feeling, just like a covers band covering a rock song for example. We can give it our own vibe but it still has to give people the experience of the original track's emotion. If that makes any sense.

The beauty is, we just break down what is on the original - if we can't get the arrangement right, well we just copy the original ...we know that works! I think we would all learn a lot from this exercise , breaking down classic / successful tunes and playing them out. I am pretty excited at the idea of doing this! I have been hearing a lot of old skool classics in the gym on 'best of' compilation CDs.

So any cosm.co.nz member can join Cosmic Core and get involved in this, if you haven't already featured on an album. Each artist would pick a tune to Project Manage. We could all still get involved on any tune if our help is required, to submit parts or original vocals / programming etc. It would be a huge joint effort.

When we have all the individual tracks in Ableton song files, we would put them in to a megaset. I can oversee this with one or two others a small team to sort that, with us all providing input in to how it should be done, to cater for everyone's live situation. We might need to make cut down versions for people using different gear , Push, Maschine, people using laptops with not much resources and so on.

There would be no deadline on this. We would just chip away at it and see how we go! I think we'd get something together fairly quickly within a year or less. it could be a really good way to learn a lot about what makes a successful commercial party tune that lasts the test of time, it would be great fun, it would get us all playing out and meeting up and playing together.

If no one is interested in this..I am still going to do it myself as it is a fricking cool idea haha! but I am SURE you will all love it. So what do you think guys?

//Damon Breakz\\ B)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cosmic Core Classics Megaset 2 years 5 months ago #23131

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
Really cool idea, Im in....
if the song are broken up and arranged similar to how Tom explained in 'going from studio to live', it could make a mega Cosmic Core 'covers' megaset which would provide a lot of flexibility when played live. No two live sets need sound the same even if the set list is the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DamonBreakz

Cosmic Core Classics Megaset 2 years 5 months ago #23138

• DamonBreakz
  • Veteran Member
That's exactly it. And of course people can always add in their own tunes if they wanted to their live set.

Before Cosmic Core I set up a flexible megaset for my Damon breakz Live act, extending Tom's Megaset with extra features. So it will 100% be Tom's way with added extras , anything we want to do.

//Damon Breakz\\
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by DamonBreakz. Reason: edit

Cosmic Core Classics Megaset 2 years 5 months ago #23139

• DamonBreakz
  • Veteran Member
Maybe we should call this the Cosmic Core 'Classic Choons' megaset. Tunes like Black box Ride on Time, prodigy tunes, 'Let me be your fantasy'.. tunes that you can go do a successful gig with to a large demographic; whether in your local pub to a bunch of 40 to 50 year olds or a stadium of teenagers on a 90s revival kick. Tunes that will naturally just get people up dancing excitedly. Happy and/or powerful dance tunes.

But like I say there is nothing to stop people adding other elements or their own tunes to it ...kinda open source Megaset of classic tunes exclusively for live performance purposes by Cosmic Core members...that we might one day release as a CD if we get copyright clearance when we are multi millionaire superstars.

You may only have one tune of your own. Play this set and slip your tune in. Instant gig. I just think it is a cool way to get us all out gigging live!

//Damon Breakz\\
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by DamonBreakz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bl4cksun

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts