Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: media, adds : alternate ways to sell music?

media, adds : alternate ways to sell music? 6 months 4 days ago #25813

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
My wife says I should try to sell my music to be used in media or adds.

I have no idea if this is a realistic idea and what is the best way to proceed.
I guess this is isn't an easy process.

Does anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks!

Luc
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
Last Edit: 6 months 4 days ago by lucky one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

media, adds : alternate ways to sell music? 6 months 3 days ago #25814

• MOutcast
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 50
yes, it seems a very good idea. though, me, i have absolutly no success with that. i have tried a little bit and still do somethimes becasue it is fun to make sound to a storry or pictures. but it seems a musician/composer might be as far away from a film/composer as a sculpturer is from a set designer. espacially for ads. it has to be something that everyone likes and carries a defined emotion or something like this. also, the choice is huge for a filmmaker to choose from. they might easily listen to 30-50 sounds before they choose. so my sound is one of them. important is connection :-) of course there are artistic film makers...i had no chance yet to work with one...and if ...it would be not really selling what ones does.

media, adds : alternate ways to sell music? 6 months 22 hours ago #25817

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
There's a couple ways you can approach this that I reckon are fully viable.

The first is the classic method.. get together a "roll" and approach people. Do a few pro bono gigs, find some indie game developers or film makers, get some words on your CV... You also gain valuable knowledge of how everything works, what to look out for etc.... Basically spend 6 months or so getting an impressive package together then hit up all the places you can - bonus points if you can deliver it with a niche, something that stands out from the rest of the demos.

The other way which I've been watching closely, is to sell music on a stock audio website.. such as audiojungle.net/

I've stalked a few of the artists on there, and even the non super pro ones are making a healthy living off it. If you can write 10-20 2/3 minute tracks in a wide range of styles, get them up and see if anything sticks. It's also a good way to pick away and just keep growing your archive while you're searching for more fixed term contract work.

Have a listen to some of the examples on that site, and if you think you can produce stuff like it... start now. Do a track a week for the next 3 months and see if it sticks.

I'd totally do this if I had some free time up my sleve and wanted to spend it making a bit of cash.

media, adds : alternate ways to sell music? 5 months 3 weeks ago #25819

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
Very cool, many thanks Jens and Tom for your stories and advice.
I think I will start with the soft and non-systematic approach (Tom's classic method) and and see what's happen!

Cheers,

Luc
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify

media, adds : alternate ways to sell music? 5 months 3 weeks ago #25827

• MOutcast
haha...the non systematic approach sounds like the perfect thing to follow for me tooo...

though i opened my account with audiojungle that i had since years and uploaded a first track.
will upload several in the next days. just to see what happens.
there is a 1 week review time for each opload :-(
some people seem to sell a lot there. thanks for the idea tom.

media, adds : alternate ways to sell music? 5 months 3 weeks ago #25828

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282

media, adds : alternate ways to sell music? 5 months 2 weeks ago #25833

• MOutcast
hello tom and luc,

thanks for the link... i checked it out...
meantime my first uploaded track has been reviewed. the answer:

"Thanks for your submission.

After completing our review, we’ve determined that ‘Modern Corporate’ (the name i gave the track i uploaded) isn’t at the quality standard needed to continue forward with the review process on AudioJungle. As the submission is too far off the standards we require, you’ll be unable to re-submit on this occasion.

Comments from your Quality team"

the track is now here on soundcloud just for you to have an impression:
soundcloud.com/hans-glueck-1/modern-corporate

i really made an effort to keep it very simple, harmonic and all, i was sure it was a hit :-) at least withing the clichee for that sort of purpuse.
but i must be so deep within my own bubble of creation that i lost (or never had) any power of judgment .

would be interesting to hear what your experniences are, if you ever try...

cheers jens

media, adds : alternate ways to sell music? 5 months 1 week ago #25858

• MOutcast
hello,

i have tried with another upload to audiojungle and it has been "rejected!"
the track is now here:
soundcloud.com/hans-glueck-1/corporate-space-y

would be interesting to see if you guys have tried and with what results :-)
it looks to me that it will take a time investment of unknown extend to figure out the criteria for a track to be accepted!!!
maybe to much to be invested in the stereotype direction for me. not sure yet...:-)

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts