Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Back Up Your Tracks

Back Up Your Tracks 2 years 3 months ago #24114

• FlyinEye
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm new but I've been an audio engineer since before DAWs and hard drives were used. I'm far from a know it all but I have been at this for a while.
I wanted to pass on something. Be sure to back up your tracks. Tape was a pain but in this age of cheap storage there's no excuse. You never know what could happen.

My wife had a heart attack and had to be flown to a medical center in another state for emergency surgery. We got back home a week or so later. During the time we were gone my hard drive failed but kept running do it was really shot when we got home. On it were two of my favorite songs among others that I only had rough mixes of saved elsewhere.

After that I backed everything to DVD and now I run a raid mirror on my DAW. I also take advantage of all the free cloud storage. Although depending on your bandwidth this may not be very suitable for entire projects.

Whatever way you do it, just be sure to do it regularly. You never know what could happen. Also if you use Solid State Drives be aware that they start to lose data quickly if powered of. In some cases they will only retain data for weeks. And be sure you can actually recover the data you have backed up.

I'm also curious as to what you use to backup your projects. And if this has already been discussed I apologize. Just felt it was an important issue that is probably ignored by a lot of people.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Back Up Your Tracks 2 years 3 months ago #24116

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
hey good advice....
I use www.backblaze.com/
Not free unfortunately, but unlimited at $5 (us) a month or cheaper if you pay per year (although that's a per device cost). Really trivial to setup, backups run in the background, and are automatic. Can get back multiple versions for 30days after that its the newest version that's kept which is useful for those moments where you screw your project up and cant get back to where you were. Restores are downloaded as a zip, provided on usb stick for fedex hard disk (last two you have to pay for).
Real world stats. Backed up around 97Gb of stuff in 3 days and now when I save a project to my hard disk I don't notice the backup running.
I did use dropbox before that but always forgot to save off a copy.
Before that I had a usb external drive but always forgot to save off a copy..
you can see where were are going here, backblaze sorted that out for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FlyinEye

Back Up Your Tracks 2 years 3 months ago #24134

• FlyinEye
  • Thank you received: 1
That's a nice setup. I know what you mean about forgetting the backups. I have a drive that died at work and just found out it hasn't been backing up to our RAID NAS. The backup software was disabled because it caused Final Cut Pro to lag. Fyi I'm also a video editor.

Back Up Your Tracks 1 year 8 months ago #25045

• Catalyst42
I really like Spice. Backup is free, and it offers some great collaborative features as well. splice.com/

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts