Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: New Project

New Project 10 months 2 weeks ago #25241

• randoclese
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
soundcloud.com/gerty-5/cielo-del-rio

I posted a newly finished project on SoundCloud today - if you're interested, I can use any and all feedback - I think I'm getting closer to the sound and arrangement that I intend at the beginning. That's new. And it sounds more similar whether over headphones off Abelton, or wave file, and what it finally sounds like on SoundCloud. More consistent anyway. Whether its any good or not isn't as important to me as getting feedback on technical problems. I cant fix what I cant hear - so you guys have been very helpful. Thanks for listening.
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by randoclese.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Project 10 months 2 weeks ago #25246

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
Hey man - it's cool and unique, cinematic and upbeat. Musically, I think you're nailing things... the mixing/fullness of it could do with a bit of work in general. I'd start with playing around with the way various aspects sit in the stereo field, then try your hand at some EQing and basic mastering to give it a bit of punch.

All in all cool direction, look forward to hearing how your sound evolves.

New Project 10 months 2 weeks ago #25249

• randoclese
Thanks for your input Tom. I really appreciate that. Considering the time I've spent on it so far, I think its worth getting my hands dirty trying to get a better sound out of it. I'm really disappointed how weak it sounds. What little leveling and EQ'ing I've done on it so far seems ineffective, or worse. The last version I applied an ever-so-slight glue compressor to the master, and it flattened the peaks way more than I would have expected. I've got a few ideas how to go about mixing it better and will try to get a more powerful sound from it. My advice to any novice trying to learn music theory, composition, DAW, and sound production all at the same time - Big Mistake. I'll repost it sometime if I think I've improved it. Thanks again.

New Project 10 months 4 days ago #25259

• randoclese
soundcloud.com/gerty-5/cielo-del-rio-1

So I've taken Tom's (and others) advice finally and tried my hand at getting better sound using multichannel processing, compression, limiters, and EQ smarter. Overall, an improvement I think. Thank you Tom and Jemeneye for you helpful comments.

New Project 10 months 4 days ago #25260

• randoclese
soundcloud.com/gerty-5/book-of-gnomes-vo...of-the-hula-hoop-war

...and now for something completely different.

I'm finding that, like with a lot of things, I should just keep it simple. Especially while still learning. Applying the same mixing techniques to something silly I cranked out in an afternoon sounds brighter, clearer, and overall better than something I spent 40 hours on.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts