Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Seeking general workflow advice / MIDI to Audio

Seeking general workflow advice / MIDI to Audio 10 months 3 weeks ago #25387

• Odyssey113
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hello...Im Ryan and Im new to the group. I've been dabbling in Ableton off and on for about 3 years now...Starting to get a good grip of things. Just trying to define my workflow a bit..

I am seeking advice on general workflow as far as going from MIDI clips to Audio clips goes...And also general advice as far as do most people prefer to record effects into the audio clip or record the audio plain and then add the effect to audio. Just kind of trying to sort through the best possible flow. I'm curious what others prefer.

Thanks for any advice!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Seeking general workflow advice / MIDI to Audio 10 months 3 weeks ago #25391

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
Hey Ryan, welcome to the site!

Personally, I tend to work with MIDI, then use the Freeze function when I'm done. This basically resamples the MIDI track down to an audio track, but it retains the MIDI information in memory, so you can always Unfreeze if you decide you want to go back and change something etc.

These days with computing power things are a lot different, I used to bounce to audio quite often when my computer was starting to struggle, but now that that's not so much of a problem I find myself having lots of MIDI tracks.

I still like to bounce to audio, as chopping up/dealing with audio samples can be a whole different way to change the sound - but generally I freeze something until I am 100% I will no longer need the MIDI data.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts