Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Getting a bit dazed and confused

Getting a bit dazed and confused 7 months 1 week ago #25705

• Zoink5
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hey everyone! Its my first time using Ableton live 9 and I just bought the pro membership recently and got through the first video titled introduction to digital audio production part 1. Is that the first thing I should be doing to get started? Or should i be downloading presets, tools, sounds, etc.

Do i download the megaset right away or is that for a later stage? I checked out a pdf doc by Tom with the topics in it but was not certain if we are supposed to follow them in that order. Sorry if these questions seem noob-like, Im just very eager to get going and would like to make the most out of this experience.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Getting a bit dazed and confused 7 months 1 week ago #25709

• Bellie
Yeah! Noob reporting :)
Would also like to now this.
There is just so much to watch and learn.. I would love to know what is the best order to follow to master the basic stuff.

I will begin with the introduction but after that i just dont know whats best to follow after that..

Getting a bit dazed and confused 7 months 6 days ago #25711

• Berni T
  • Saw Wave (Platinum Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 137
for so long it's not true? Well the best way to go about it is just get into that DAW & start your own experiments...you can't break it. Tweak things, modulate, filter or whatever just get creative & hands on...dont wait for some lame ass on youtube to share there ignorance. There are soooo many recources out there right now I cannot believe you are dazed & confused...lazy maybe.

Getting a bit dazed and confused 7 months 6 days ago #25712

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Yeah Berni is right you both should be exploring Ableton like he said you can not break it. You will learn so much by just play around and creating 10 mins worth of noise, keep a note pad handy in case you need to write anything down and then off you go again. By all means watch Youtube tutorials if it helps you get around ableton a bit easier Toms videos do help but they ain't no set rule to how you use ableton and how you can use ableton to craft your own personal sound.
You want your own sound if you follow all of Toms video's your just going to sound like Tom Cosm lol (Which ain't a bad thing) its just already been done...especially here lol.

Once you start learning your way around ableton and its devices and sounds you will then start making music no problems...but i highly recommend finding your own way of doing so.

As for the videos, after you watch the introduction vids i would personally jump on the sound design videos, they will show you most of abletons instruments and audio devices and great ways of using them etc.

Good luck and have fun.
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions
Last Edit: 7 months 6 days ago by Karl37.

Getting a bit dazed and confused 7 months 3 days ago #25717

• Bellie
Thanks guys for your replies!! :)

I offcourse want to make my own sound, but in fact evenry tutorial you follow will make you sound just the way like the person who made the tutorial. But still i really am at the bottom of the ableton learning ladder so its a bit hard to start exploring when you really dont know where to start :)
But i have a lot of tutorials altready and im just going to start with the noob basic stuff to learn my way around the program.

Thanks again guys!

Getting a bit dazed and confused 7 months 1 day ago #25725

• Feyra Bass
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Playing with your DAW is a great way to go!
However, if you're a total beginner you probably need a tutorial or two so you know HOW to play your DAW. Like how to draw MIDI notes, and keyboard shortcuts (invaluable) and how to draw automation in both clip and track view..

Yes, you'll be making the sounds Tom makes in the videos but you'll be learning how to use your DAW to make any style of music.
Def start with Tom's Intro to Audio! There's other videos out there in Youtube land that can help too. Just type "ableton live 9 beginner tutorial" and there you go. Sadowick is good. He has a calm voice and doesn't use your time talking about himself. Plus his videos are short for those with attention issues!

So do a video and then mess around with the sound you just made. Don't forget the most important shortcut - ctl-z!! (cmd-z)
Good luck, FB

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts