Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Creating a Live Set in Ableton - HELP!

Creating a Live Set in Ableton - HELP! 11 months 2 weeks ago #25908

• racerace1
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hi all,

I want to try and put a live set together in Ableton in order to create something similar to David Augusts performance in the boiler room - - however I'm finding theres a lack of resources to help me do this. A few of the things I am struggling with are:

How long the clips should be? eg. 1 bar, 8 bars, 16 bars??
How are the clips divided up? eg. Drums, vocals, bass
Are only chopped up clips being used or are larger chunks of songs being used in the live set too?
How many clips should I have for each song?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Creating a Live Set in Ableton - HELP! 11 months 1 week ago #25913

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
Hi racerace1,

Everyone does it differently I guess. Here is what I do:
- How long the clips should be? I cut my tracks into parts of the same feel, then cut each part into the longer loopable chunck possible = a scene in my live set. I should be able to keep looping each scene before going to the next one. That way there is no stress for me. Usually I have 16 or 32 bars loops, sometimes it goes up to 64, sometimes down to 4 (a bridge).
- How are the clips divided up? eg. Drums, vocals, bass : I have Kick, Percussion (drums without kick), Bass, Chords (harmony), Solo (melodies), Vocals, FX (everything else)
- Are only chopped up clips being used or are larger chunks of songs being used in the live set too? : I usually export the whole track, then cut it in different chunks in my set. For example, I export all the bass sounds on one single wav file (the whole track). Then I create multiple clips in my live set that loops different parts of that big wav file
- How many clips should I have for each song? Usually I try to see all my sessions two or three launchpad views. The launchpad has 8 rows so I have usually less than 16 scenes, always less than 24.

Hope this help,

Cheers,

Luc
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts