Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Fighting Frequencies

Fighting Frequencies 10 months 1 day ago #25916

• Daitya
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hey there. I'm having some trouble figuring out how to word this or even get an idea of what's going on so I'll do my best to explain it.

I'm trying to figure out how to mix my tracks so that I don't have any fighting frequencies and I'm having a bit of a hard time finding some sort of tutorial that's actually helpful on this. So here's my problem. The last couple tracks I've written have had some issues with the snare, hihats and most high end sounds conflicting. They play through their channel at for example -12db and then when they are playing alongside each other they cause the master to hit upwards around -5db! I know I should be cutting low end frequencies out and that most of this should involve some general eq work, but that always causes me to sacrifice the punch of my snare, or the quality of my hats. Another example is my snare and kick, I'm wondering how I can have them occupying some similar frequency ranges, but not causing an overloading of the master track. I'm wondering if anyone has an ideas of how I can work around this so that I'm not causing my drums to clash, but I'm maintaining the original punch the samples have.

Any tips or help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fighting Frequencies 9 months 3 weeks ago #25923

Hello Daitya,

For the sound level, you can have some good explanations here :
3-6db
and some more addition with these :
what-is-the-significance-of-3db
calculator-db-volt
calculator-spl

There is also this article on SoS
gain-staging-your-daw-software

Some interesting thought about EQ
Stop the High Pass Filters Madness HPF explained

For fighting frequencies, iZotope has a great plugin : Neutron.
The EQ part has a "The Masking" tool that shows where could you have some problem.
Un-masking your mix with Neutron

Hope this give you some new approach

John
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by johnleborgne.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts