Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 40% off Fabfilter

40% off Fabfilter 2 years 10 months ago #21406

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Fabfilter makes some amazing effects and tools for production. Right now they have 40% off their bundles until April 24th 2014 it looks like. That's a great discount especially considering the quality of the effects. Looks like it also extends to just individual effects too.

www.fabfilter.com/shop/?currency=usd&vat=0
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucky one, Karl37

40% off Fabfilter 2 years 10 months ago #21409

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Personally i would encourage everyone who has not got these plugins to take a look at them, they are seriously superb and well i wouldnt be without them.

Great deal too. :)
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions

40% off Fabfilter 2 years 10 months ago #21411

• Jemeneye
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 55
I have live 9 suite and I use all native effects. I have a good grip on ableton's EQ, compressors, and FX. Why would I want to use 3rd party plugs? I write this with sincerity and I don't intend for this to come across the wrong way...

I guess my question is: If you have access to all of lives instruments and FX, and you understand how to use them to get the desired results, why would you feel the need to purchase 3rd party plugins? Is this bc Ableton Live's tools are good for getting the job done, but they're slightly inferior to 3rd party plugs such as Fabfilter, Izotope etc?

40% off Fabfilter 2 years 10 months ago #21413

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Jemeneye wrote:
I have live 9 suite and I use all native effects. I have a good grip on ableton's EQ, compressors, and FX. Why would I want to use 3rd party plugs? I write this with sincerity and I don't intend for this to come across the wrong way...

I guess my question is: If you have access to all of lives instruments and FX, and you understand how to use them to get the desired results, why would you feel the need to purchase 3rd party plugins? Is this bc Ableton Live's tools are good for getting the job done, but they're slightly inferior to 3rd party plugs such as Fabfilter, Izotope etc?

To me they just simply sound better all round, i feel they are more inspiring to use and Fab-filters Saturn is the best analog distortion i think I've heard and the band splitting is just so easy to use and also the limiter for me just sounds so much better. I cant really explain why...maybe its just an algorithm thing and how they are displayed, even the timeless delay is just so lush.
I have been using Abletons native stuff since using ableton Live 7, when i first bought ableton live 9 i started to use all the native effects for that too, they sounded better than Live 8, especially the EO and Glue compressor, even the spectrum display on the EQ8 and the visual display on the normal compressor was such a big change, and you could hear the difference the EQ was doing compared to Live 8.
But then i purchased Fabfilters stuff after loving the Saturn, don't rate abletons saturation to much, i don't know why i just don't like the sound of it, so i got the Saturn and it was just a world of difference for me as with all of fabfilters other effects.

I think if you have the money and can afford it then get them, but if you don't have the cash then you can make do with abletons native stuff for sure as it does sound good....i just feel fabfilter sounds better lol, maybe its just down to personal preference.

As for izotope, i used to use this alot, though never really mastered it to be fair, i have since stopped using it as i prefer to mix my master using the fabfilter stuff as to me it just sounds better, cleaner. I guess I've just learned to appreciate the fabfilter stuff as unknowingly over time they have become my go-to tools.

Sorry i could not give you an official reason as to why i think they are better than the ableton native stuff....its just fine quality's that amount to a lot in the end for me.
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions

40% off Fabfilter 2 years 10 months ago #21415

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Yeah it's what Karl said. Ableton has some great stock effects that do a great job. I still use mostly ableton effects but there are some things that I find other programs end up with a more desired result. As you are probably aware the way that these vsts process the audio is all done by code so YES it is all in the algorithms, features, etc. For instance if you take EQ8 and throw a high shelf boost on a shaker to give it some extra strength up there to make it sparkle a bit and put that next to a track with the same settings but using Alloy 2's Baxandall High Shelf filter you will notice the different. What it all comes down to is different flavors and the desired result. If you were a programmer who knew EXACTLY what that Alloy filter was doing and abletons effects were sufficient to give you those results then I would say the only difference would be in the fact that you didn't have to set up alloy to achieve the same result. Due to proprietary algorithms and such though there are many different "flavors" of different instruments and effects out there that handle things differently, give you features others don't have, sound different, and make the workflow easier. Having some additional plugins gives you some extra options. Some compressors sound better on vocals than other. Some reverbs sound better for certain things. Etc.

Sometimes it's not just about sound it's about ease of use. For instance Karls example of the Saturn effect. I think you can separate up to 6 bands on that. I agree with him that the sound is amazing but beyond that think about what you'd have to do to set up a 6 band saturator. Drop a saturator in each one of those chains. Now what if you only want 5 bands instead of 6 because you don't like the way the one sounds on the mix. Or say you want to drop from 6 down to 3 bands or 2. Yes you can have all these set up in advance but no matter how you cut it that's going to take extra time. With Saturn you can just add or remove bands with a click. Moving bands around is a snap. And so on.

So anyway yeah.....sound...ease of use......form factor............lots of good reasons to get some extra options. And again I'm not saying abletons effects sound bad. It's just a different tool in your toolbox that may or may not work for a sound. Of course I recommend not going overboard. Too many options can be just as bad as too few. Sometimes worse. But think of it like this.... You won't find many woodworkers who will use a single hammer or chisel or saw for every single project. They have different tools for hitting something hard than they do for really finessing something. Different saws for different cuts. Etc. Anyway. hope that helps.

40% off Fabfilter 2 years 10 months ago #21419

• Berni T
  • Saw Wave (Platinum Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 137
Got to agree with Karl & Forky on this one. Although the stock FX/instruments are all good in Live there is nothing wrong with expanding your musical palette with 3rd party plug-in's/instruments/hardware. There's sooooo much good stuff out there that you would be a fool not too if you ask me. Hey I can't even limit myself to one DAW! They all have there strengths & weakness's.
Pretty much any successful musician/producer has a vast array of gear, each piece chosen for it's particular quality, whether it's a synth, a guitar, a mastering limiter etc.....that & they have to much cash to blow on new gear ;)

40% off Fabfilter 2 years 10 months ago #21421

• Jemeneye
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 55
Thanks so much for the insight. I've been producing for a little over a year and Live 9s native effects is all I know- I figured it would be my one stop shop for everything especially considering that I purchased Suite. I'm happy with what I've been able to do and achieve up to this point- I'll post a track on here later for some critique. btw on that topic... do i post a production session, or just a general post in the forum? I'm new here so sorry if thats a dumb question...

From all of your advice it definitely seems worth checking out fabfilter or izotope and comparing/contrasting to live 9s native plugs. I'm more interested in using them for the EQ, compressors, expanders, etc. I actually do have guitar rig 5 mostly for processing my guitar and bass. I have to admit I haven't mucked around with any of the fx or tools that come with... I've sort of been taking the approach that I should learn ableon live 9 like the back of my hand before I venture into 3rd party stuff, but I now realize that I might be limiting myself some on that approach...

40% off Fabfilter 2 years 10 months ago #21425

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
It's a good idea for sure to learn the effects that you have and know what they bring to the table. So your plan to learn live and it's devices first is a solid plan. So really there's nothing wrong with the approach of learning live first. In fact I believe that's the best way to go. Like I said before, quite a bit of the time I'm using live effects. I like the easy access to controls in the device browser and again they do sound great. Again though I wouldn't limit yourself to just those tools. Most companies offer demos and videos for their effects. When you're familiar with all of live's effects and what they can do, go grab some demos.....see how things stack up.

I have guitar rig 5 as well and if you look at it it's amazing the number of effects that are in there.......but I never use it for effects except for on my guitars lol. I guess I just don't like having to use their rack structure for sound designing. If I want to use a plugin by someone else in between 2 of their devices in guitar rig I have to set up two instances of guitar rig for before and after chains. I really do need to go through and figure out what's all in there though and check out the quality of the effects. I've heard that some of the effects in there are amazing.

When posting a track there is a section specifically for it under Forums>Show Case>Post your music in the navigation above. Just start a new topic and put in a link to your track. If by production session you mean the whole ableton file we don't really have a way to do that. The recommended way is to copy a link to your track into a forum post after it's been uploaded to a streaming service such as soundcloud or youtube. Not a dumb question man.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts