Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Pioneer CDJ - 800 MK 2 - with a digital interface

Pioneer CDJ - 800 MK 2 - with a digital interface 1 year 10 months ago #23950

• Paul81
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, you all !

I have two Pioneer CDJ - 800 MK 2 cd - players (plus one BST record player) and a typical 2 channel mixer. They are a bit old now, but they still work well, and they have like a jog wheel or turntable that digitally emulates a cd or a vinyl as it's playing. For pitch bending forwards and backwards. You can use them for scratching ref. Hip-Hop, Beats and Rap.
What I want to ask you about is:
The CDJ's have different outputs. One Data In / Out , One Digital Out , One Control and regular Stereo left and right - And if anyone knows if you can use any of the outputs, perhaps other than the stereo output to connect them to a digital interface. Like a DJ software or maybe Ableton Live... With the right type of cables / cords to connect to a computer etc. Would be great to play songs from the pc straight to the cd players.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pioneer CDJ - 800 MK 2 - with a digital interface 1 year 10 months ago #23952

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
The control connection is unique to Pioneer and used to do fader start stuff between two cdjs.
The only way I know you could use these to control a computer is through timecode cds. You connect the cd players upto your audio interface then run software like tracktor, serato or virtual dj. Load up some special cds called timecode then you can use the cdjs to control the dj software. There was an option for serato that allowed it to link to ableton live but haven't seen it shouted about recently.

It might be possible for some clever sod to programs something in maxforlive to allow ableton to work with timecode vinyl.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Bl4cksun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul81

Pioneer CDJ - 800 MK 2 - with a digital interface 1 year 10 months ago #23953

• Paul81
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes I was thinking about Serato for example. Maybe I'll try and contact Pioneers support or customer service to ask them what they recomend, but reckon the timecode (or indeed Serato’s comparable NoiseMap system) needs to be in the cd players to get the full interface and control. Thanks for answering.

Pioneer CDJ - 800 MK 2 - with a digital interface 1 year 10 months ago #23954

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
with the timecode cds, you won't get full control of the software like with some of the cdjs. Some cdjs are midi mappable so you can map the pitch slider, cross fader,loop buttons, etc to control the dj/daw software. The cdj800s aren't like that. the timecode signal from the cdjs is interpreted by the software to work out whats happening to the play head. so spin back the platter and the software does a spin back, loop the cdj and the software loops, not because it sees a message to loop but because the cdj actually plays the same portion of the cd in a loop. There are normally 2 modes, absolute and relative. With absolute mode, where ever the cdj is playing at the time is the exact spot it plays in the software, so if you start the cdj playing with a 4 bar loop to 50% through the cdj, the software plays the tune looping 4 bars from 50% of the way through. Relative mode works relative to where you are in the song in the software, start a 4 bar loop and you get a 4 bar loop at the current play position.
Relative mode is great with vinyl timecode as it saves you wearing out the start of the timecode disk.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts