Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: DJ Megaset ideal interface?

DJ Megaset ideal interface? 1 year 3 weeks ago #25360

• chazITA
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hello Tom, hello everyone!

I need advice from an expert, here.

Years ago, I used to DJ the "classic way": vynil + 1200s + mixer.
Eventually I had to stop because of work, family, etc.
In the meantime, I have grown a strong passion for anything Macintosh and slowly discovered that DJing the "new way" (computer + audio files + mixer) can be accomplished reliably.

Looking around, I found out DVS systems (Serato, Traktor Scratch) and - say - wholly digital systems (classic Traktor, VirtualDJ...).
Through the years, both solutions matured, but none of them caught my attention as much as Ableton Live, for a number of reasons.
So I decided I would walk down the "Live" path and recently discovered Tom's website. Tom's work with the DJ MEGASET is invaluable: everything seems logical, there, and his way to depict a "computer deck" inside Live is pure genius! I am going to start my new experience from here.

Here's my question.
Of course, I will need some device to interact physically with DJ Megaset, and all I can see now is the following three ways.

1. USB digital mixer with some sort of MIDI map (Allen & Heath Xone:db4, Pioneer DJM 2000NXS...) - will that really grant enough control?
2. MIDI-only controller (Vestax VCM-600 can still be found around) and separate audio interface - effects and looping will be heavy on my CPU, though...
3. "new age" USB controller (Denon, Numark, Pioneer...) maybe including a sound card - are they really worth the money?

What would you suggest?
Are those really my only options or am I missing something?
Which equipment do you use when DJing around with DJ Megaset?

Thanks for your attention and for the time you will spend to answer my question.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DJ Megaset ideal interface? 11 months 2 days ago #25657

Hi,

from Controller only view, I personally use it with Push 2, Launch Control XL and an iPad with touchable. If you own an iPad, touchAble is a must, especially for this Megaset to trigger all these dummy clips.
Last Edit: 11 months 2 days ago by Ruhrgebeatler.

DJ Megaset ideal interface? 11 months 6 hours ago #25661

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
What's up chazITA! Welcome to the world of digital DJing!

In response to your questions

1. USB digital mixer with some sort of MIDI map (Allen & Heath Xone:db4, Pioneer DJM 2000NXS...) - will that really grant enough control?

Something like the Xone would have all the power you need, but perhaps more than you need while you're playing at the first stages. Allen and Heath are great for providing both mixers - being able to mix multiple audio channels (assuming you have a soundcard that has at least 2 x stereo outputs...or CDJs etc)... as well as being able to be used as MIDI controllers (You could use the faders to change something in Ableton etc).

I'd vote for this option once you're well on your way and start knowing exactly what you want. It's going to be the most expensive option.

2. MIDI-only controller (Vestax VCM-600 can still be found around) and separate audio interface - effects and looping will be heavy on my CPU, though...

This is where I'd focus your energy if you're just getting your head around the whole thing. The VCM600 is an old beast, and you might be able to find one for sure... but they are big, heavy and quite expensive... not saying that's not a cool thing (the VCM600 knobs are so strong, you can feel the knob going directly into metal) - but I'd start yourself out with something a bit more light weight... something straight forward and to the point, so you can get your hands on some knobs and start enjoying yourself mixing as soon as possible.

If you're after something that mimics a traditional DJ setup (mids, highs, lows, levels etc)... check out the Traktor controllers. I own an X1 it cost me less than a hundred dollars second hand and it's the most basic little thing...but so much fun for me and the misus to do some bad 80's mixes after a few wines on a Friday night etc.......

Something like the Novation Launch Control XL would have more knobs/faders…(good if you want to get into mapping effects etc)…. but they wouldn't be labeled... you'd have to assign the knobs and faders to what you want in Ableton and either remember/or label them on your controller. I own two Launch Control XL's and use them as my main mixing devices in my live set. They are awesome.

3. "new age" USB controller (Denon, Numark, Pioneer...) maybe including a sound card - are they really worth the money?

See answer #1... get yourself a fun cheapo controller first... get a feel for things. Get it all set up, grab a few beers and go crazy! It's a difference of $100 to $3-4000...., but when you get excited and sure this is the direction you wanna go in, get out our credit card

Keep in mind these opinions are based on the thought that you're more interested in playing with effects/mixing multiple tracks all at once/remixing on the fly.... aka no need to cue. IF you wanna do the traditional cueing/beat matching.. you'll at least need a sound card with 2x stereo outputs and a mixer with 2x stereo inputs.

Hit us back if you have any more questions,

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts