Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: traktor kontrol s4 audio interface?

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17314

• kim.loco
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 32
I want to buy a audo interface but i wonder if the build in soundcard in traktor kontrol s4 will work just as good? i think it would be fun to learn to dj too side by side with music producing in ableton..
i have read that traktor + ableton is a fun and creative setup together.
With a audio interface you use less cpu power? right? does it apply to traktor kontrol s4 too?
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by kim.loco.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17315

• spier
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 9
yeah im curious to hear some feedback in regards to that unit from someone here aswell ..
ive been thinking about getting s4 for ages as I find a pain to dj with ableton alone a pain..
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by spier.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17327

• Berni T
  • Saw Wave (Platinum Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 137
The S4 uses the traktor software for DJing purposes so I dont think you can use it to control Ableton. The Traktor DJing software is much easier to use than Live for DJing imo anyway.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17332

• kim.loco
Traktor can easely be synct with Ableton..I think i wrote a little unclear.I really wanted to know if the buit in soundcard in the s4 will work in Ableton?? Or do i need to buy a separate audio interface?

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17421

• Berni T
OK I see what your saying but I personally would not need both programs running together, especially in a live situation. You can trigger loops & samples easily with Traktor & it has more effects than you can shake a stick at & you can already use the Traktor software to record DJ sets. Using this method you could foreseably use the S4 as a soundcard BUT it only has 2 RCA inputs & what a pain in the arse to go from DJ set up back to studio & so on. If you do a lot of live recording then I would definitely get a dedicated soundcard, it would be a lot less hassle & much cheaper. Also you still can't control Live with the S4 only sync it up to record the Traktor decks which TBH is a bit pointless given all the functions in Traktor already.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Berni T.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17434

• Syikom
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 167
NI controllers can be used as generic MIDI controllers

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17442

• kim.loco
I am not playing live..I thinking it would be nice to practice DJing .But production is the main focus.
Its stands between a Focusrite Saffire PRO24DSP or RME - babyface audio interface and a traktor kontrol s4. The things i need for now is output for monitors,input for mic, input for Akai mpk25 and Ableton Push and also use the soundcard with Ableton. .But i also want more options later for playing live\DJing, when that time comes. Wouldn t s4 be a better choice? Then i do not need to buy mixer also, and i have something to practice with and a better soundcard then the internal Macbook Air soundcard(if it is better though?).

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17449

• Berni T
Syikom wrote:

Oh really, can you explain in detail how you can get the S4 to control Live? I have both but would'nt bother trying to get them to work together because it's pointless. The S4 is a DJ interface aimed squarely at the Traktor software. It's not a sound card & would recommend the Focusrite for your needs. :)

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17451

• cruzmeyers
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been a owner of the S4 since it first came out, lots of misinformation being put out here so let me try to clear it up. The S4 is a MIDI controller and audio interface combined. You do not need an additional soundcard to use it. The S4 has a built in sound card which is excellent but not top notch compared to the more expensive systems and it can be used as a soundcard for Live or any other audio purposes, the S4 uses ASIO protocol so it is as easy as telling Ableton to use the S4 soundcard. It not only has RCA outputs but 1/4 TRS outputs as well. In regards to MIDI, It is specifically designed and flawlessly mapped to control the NI Traktor software which is great for DJing, the S4 can be used to control any MIDI receiving software such as Ableton as well. I personally do not see the use of using both Ableton and Traktor combined even though it can be done and those that do it are most likely aliens from another world using it to communicate with the home planet. Personally, I see no use for it nor have I seen anyone in a professional setting use it together, "you can drive a car with your feet but that don't mean you should do it" lol. If you are new to DJing which is the impression I get you might find yourself way to overwhelmed trying to sync both software, just getting the master clock to sync up perfectly is a issue in itself that might take an entire day/week of your life to remedy. Ask yourself what is it you want to accomplish with DJing at the level you are at and I am positive either software program would do the job exclusively.

Anyways, the S4 controller is great, I like it a lot and use it frequently for house parties, but for club and big events I stick with my CDJs and Xone mixer. More than anything I am a huge fan of the Traktor program for DJing, I have never needed Ableton for live performances since my sets can be done using 2 decks and the 2 remix decks which is another 32 triggers for loop/one shots. I build all my stuff in Ableton and then create Traktor remix sets to perform them live. You ought to download the software and run the trial, see if it is your thing. If you are just starting I would recommend you get a basic controller first to start off with, something under $100. All you need is a fader, 2 channels with levels, EQs and a few knobs and buttons to trigger FX and what not. Unless of course money is not a object to you I wouldn't drop $600 on a piece of gear your not even sure you will use.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17452

• cruzmeyers
Kim.Loco, you can use the S4 for what your trying to accomplish, I actually use it solely as a soundcard for Ableton when I feel like producing music at my studio DJ booth instead of my studio desk. Something about standing up and moving to the groove I am producing over sitting in my chair all day making a beat sometimes is more appealing, I get a different inspiration but I don't use it to run Traktor and Ableton together as the videos posted suggests, I am with Berni on that, seems pointless. Like I said in the previous post, you have the option to connect monitors via RCA or 1/4 inch TRS. You only have one mic input which is decent, the DAC are not suited for quality audio input recording like you would get from the Focusrite but they are still good and a huge upgrade from the Mac DACs. You could hook up an external DAC phantom powered box and run it through the 3/4 track channel as a solution to that. Your MPK25 and push controller would not hook up to either the S4 or Focusrite but to your computer. The S4 gives you the option to use it as a soundcard which is better than the Mac's and will lessen the CPU load and will afford you the Traktor Pro 2 software to practice DJing at the same time, however the S4 is pretty big and takes up a lot of space compared to the Focusrite. The focusrite will probably give you better routing options and might have better DACs than the s4. I personally would not want to be hooked up to the S4 constantly just to make music, but that is because I am always on the go with the s4. I would go with Berni's suggestion and stick with the Focusrite if production is your main focus right now. You can still practice DJing with a qwerty keyboard and mouse like I use too do back in the day before DJ controllers for software were available.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by cruzmeyers.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17455

• kim.loco
Thanks man..I got the answers i looked for..I tryed the demo version of traktor,but it is no fun to dj with a mouse or keyboard ,and i don`t think i am learning as much pushing keyboard buttons.:-D It is not very controllable with a mouse and keyboard and you don t get to learn the right way.I do not think anyone using keyboard and mouse in the club? :ohmy:
hmmm.What is the midi in\out connections on the s4 used for then, if you can not connect the midicontrollers?? The mpk25 also have mid \in out connections.I don t know about the PUSH since it has not arrived yet.
You have a great point that it is big,but then again it is more "all in one" if i want to practice DJing when i need a break from producing.
RME Babyface and Traktor Kontrol s4 is about the same price and is max off money i want to spend.Focusrite is cheaper, but is it not pretty outdated?
need to think this trough,so i am not wasting money :P

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17459

• cruzmeyers
Yea, DJing with a mouse and keyboard is no fun at all. It is something most DJs do not know how to do but will save your life knowing what to do when your having a issue with one of your controllers in the middle of a set and need to buy a few minutes to straighten it out, trust me this will happen and you as a DJ cannot mess up so its a great safeguard. I also spend a lot of time in Traktor prepping tracks so sitting on the couch to do this and using keyboard shortcuts is very nice. My reasoning of suggesting it is that there is a lot to be learned of the software and DJing principles that you can learn with a keyboard and mouse, if you are new to DJing this should be your approach. It reminds me of a friend of mine who had never gone skiing. I told them just rent some skis for the first time, if you like it then buy a pair. They decided to just buy $500 set of skis, went one time and hated it and now has a pair of Skis they will never use again. Anyways, no one I know in the clubs uses the qwerty and mouse but are you at the level that you can start playing in the club?

In regards to MIDI connections, are people still using those for todays current devices? j/k Yea the S4 has a MIDI in/out but i've never used it. The only things I have hooked up to MIDI is my actual synths to send the MIDI data from Ableton to the synth. As far as the MPK 25 I would just use the USB connections. The S4 only has one MIDI out so if MIDI connection is the way you want to go then the S4 would not be a good solution. The Push does not have MIDI ports, just a USB port and 2 footswitch inputs. Is your budget $500? Maybe we can go off your budget to get you a decent interface for producing since that is your main focus and find a decent starter controller for DJing. another option that I use a great deal of is the APC 40, I have DJed in Ableton with it before and use it in my production work as well, it would still require you to have a soundcard but the controller is great and works flawlessly with Ableton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kim.loco

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17461

• kim.loco
Your right,as production is my main focus it is more clever to go for a good audio interface.. I would think the PUSH controller is enough and just as good if not better then a APC40? maybe not for DJing though, since it don t have faders but a good production tool.I think i just let the s4 go for another time,i would have more then enough to learn and play around with when the PUSH arrives ..my budget is about 600usd.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17465

• cruzmeyers
The push certainly is more functional than the APC 40 but the $600 price tag vs. a used $100 APC 40 is something to consider, if you already purchased the Push then have fun, no need to get a APC 40 though it still has its use in my setup alongside the Push controller. If you like Traktor and want to practice DJing you can find a decent controller for $100, all you need to get started is a Xfader, level faders, play, stop, cue, loop in/out.

RME makes great stuff, great preamps I use the Fireface 800, the Babyface is out of your range and I think is USB right? I would caution against USB interfaces, I find firewire to be more rock solid plus you free up a USB port for a controller or HD, what other device would you use with firewire? probably nothing. Anyways I have owned a lot of interfaces in the past 10 years... USB, PCIe, Firewire. I like firewire the best and I have noticed the difference. My last interface was the Focusrite saffire pro. I still use it for mobile setups. Half the price of the babyface and just as portable if needed. Get that and that leaves you with a few hundred to get a DJ controller, you could look at the S2 or Z1 from Native instruments if you still want to go with Traktor.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17468

• kim.loco
The s2 is not that much cheaper then a s4 and z1 look too simple and very basic. But anyway i think i go for the focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp,and save the money for a synth package like Komplete 9 or Omnisphere and have more fun producing..:-)

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17477

• ecapsretuo
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 12
I had been thinking right along the lines of kim.loco of late. It would be nice I think, to be able to take respites from learning to produce, and shift focus to learning how to dj mix. So just prior to checking this thread (thank you all for great info), I was looking at what these guys were doing with Abeton and Traktor.
Technique 1: Traktor plays a song while Ableton runs MIDI loops on a drum machine (which is manipulated live). In this example, Traktor audio is side-chaining to the drum machine, creating a tight mix.

Technique 2: Traktor provides a beat (this example is perfect for house) while Ableton runs a MIDI loop on a synthesizer (Operator is used in the video) that does live synthesis, side-chained to the Traktor beat.

Technique 3: Old school beat and scratching from Traktor, which does live side-chaining to the finger drumming in Ableton.

Technique 4: Straight-up scratch routine and finger drumming jam (no tracks, no loops, all live) while Traktor signal side-chains to the finger drumming.

It is interesting to consider integration of these two awesome softwares. One could be running a dj mix the slick way in Traktor with one hand. And Push will make it easier than ever to improvise your live sets with amazingly minimal manipulation. To me, it seems integration of the two could allow djs an entirely new layer of sound, an organic, live dimension to a dj mix.

The element of sidechaining could keep your sounds distinct of one another. Honestly, I've not watched the videos or looked too deeply onto this yet.
Not sure, I think Traktor has no sends or inserts. I wonder if You could somehow use an Ableton track to receive a Traktor track. I have understood that Traktor effects right proper, but there are some phenomenal and unique effects it might be sweet to be able to use.(Stutter Effect). Furthermore, maybe one could benefit from sending a Traktor track to processing-type effects in Ableton.
The prospect of at last being able to communicate with my home planet, allures me.

Berni, at this link, the cats explain how they hooked it up: www.djtechtools.com/2012/09/30/four-crea...nd-ableton-together/
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by ecapsretuo.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17480

• Syikom
  • Veteran Member
Berni T wrote:
Syikom wrote:

Oh really, can you explain in detail how you can get the S4 to control Live? I have both but would'nt bother trying to get them to work together because it's pointless. The S4 is a DJ interface aimed squarely at the Traktor software. It's not a sound card & would recommend the Focusrite for your needs. :)
oh really yes easy
www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/que...er+with+Ableton+Live

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17481

• Syikom
  • Veteran Member
Berni T wrote:
The S4 uses the traktor software for DJing purposes so I dont think you can use it to control Ableton. The Traktor DJing software is much easier to use than Live for DJing imo anyway.
This is simply not true ,all Traktor controllers can be used as generic midi controllers

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17486

• cruzmeyers
Sounds like a good choice kim.loco, BTW i have seen S2 controllers used for around $150. The Z1 is simple and basic but I could rock a party easily with it even though it doesnt have all the bells and whistles it has enough to get you started. Remember it is designed as a modular set-up, you can buy that and learn proper beat, A-B mixing and then add the X1 and F1 at a later time to have a complete set-up as if you had a S4.

escaperetuo - That is how most had integrated the two (most use Maschine over ableton since they are both NI) however as of the 2.5 update for Traktor you can launch clips and loops, up to 32 slots, so in essence you can run two decks as a traditional set-up and then run the other two Decks to launch clips and loops/oneshots like you would in Ableton.. It does not have a traditional send/return channel but the FX work the same allowing you to keep the dry signal with the wet signal if you so desire. The rumor mill has been spreading that Traktor will be allowing third party VST effects soon, if this is true then things like stutter effect, sugarbyte's turnado and effectrix or image-line's grossbeat would make this so much more of a beast. I don't see any particular use for merging Ableton and Traktor though, especially since the MIDI master clocks of either will not sync up properly, give it about 45 min playing and your sync will be off, you would have to get an external time clock to get the two to work for long performances. If it was a case that you needed to use Ableton to perform live then I would just stick with Ableton, it can be set-up to work like a traditional DJ setup and the Traktor effects are in plugin format within guitar rig so just load them into Ableton and you have all of the Traktor effects. Anyways, Im not saying that it can't be done or that interesting things couldn't come about, I'm just saying that when I looked into this idea and tried it I found that there was more issues with it than solutions. I did not find it practical in any way and that with each technique described in your post which I believe you took from DJ Tech Tools (Good DJ source) I find I could do all of it exclusively in Traktor by myself or with another person.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by cruzmeyers.

traktor kontrol s4 audio interface? 4 years 3 months ago #17489

• Berni T
Syikom wrote:
Berni T wrote:
This is simply not true ,all Traktor controllers can be used as generic midi controllers

I stand corrected BUT in practicle terms it's not much use & a pain to set up. The s4 is only a 4 channel mixer so you could only really control 4 channels of audio & say the transport so you would soon be picking up the mouse again IMO.
  • Page:

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts