Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The Truth About KRK

The Truth About KRK 3 years 11 months ago #19464

Ok, I recently heard from DigitalDJtips that KRK speakers do not (or at least may not) reproduce sound with 100% accuracy. He says they're designed more for DJs rather than producers so there might be a slight bass-boost.

Is this true?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Truth About KRK 3 years 11 months ago #19465

• SandvichDISH!
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 52
No speaker reproduces sound with 100% accuracy. And even if you got one that did, you're going to have to get a room that's 100% acoustically neutral. Given, however, KRK monitors aren't the most neutral sounding speakers you can get. From what I heard they usually have a slight bump in the lower frequency range. Also, my dad is a mastering / mixing engineer and he does not like KRK monitors.

The Truth About KRK 3 years 11 months ago #19466

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Yeah this has been mentioned in some other posts as well. A lot of people really like the KRKs which is fine but if you look at their frequency response charts there is a boost in the bass. It's likely they did this on purpose due to how people like to hear things (i.e. bass heavy). My brother has the krk rokit 6 monitors and I find that they are a little colored toward bass. That being said I know a ton of producers who use them. They're affordable and they sound decent. I can't say if they were "designed more for a DJ" but either way it hasn't stopped producers from using them. As with everything you can adjust for it. You just have to know your system.

There was someone in the forums recently that said he was able to get a flat response out of the krks after treating a room but when I asked him how he did it and what tests he ran to come to that conclusion he didn't reply. So I'm afraid I can't recommend them if you're looking for something with a flat response.

Hope that helps.

The Truth About KRK 3 years 11 months ago #19469

• caris
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 73
I would agree. My personal assessment is that they are bass heavy, which isn't what you want in a studio monitor. A lot of the reviews I read said the same thing. They're good speakers if you want a stereo system, and a lot of people use them for studio monitors because they are cheap, but they don't have a very flat response.

The Truth About KRK 3 years 11 months ago #19479

• Feyra Bass
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Aside from the bass boost I found them to be muddy sounding in the mid-range. Although these work well for some I felt like I was in a car listening to a stock stereo radio. My 2 cents.

The Truth About KRK 3 years 11 months ago #19481

Hmm. Thanks guys :)

One more question. How are Mackies compared to these?

The Truth About KRK 3 years 11 months ago #19634

• samwhich
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 8
I found some great advice online once stating that no speakers are 100% and you need to learn how to mix with your speakers and how to adjust your EQs to compensate for issues you might have i.e. too much bass/muddiness/not enough sizzle in the highs etc.

Due to bass issues I was experiencing, I started focusing on making my beats sound flat in my studio (instead of perfect to my ears) and when I transferred them to my car stereo for comparison, they started sounding much more clean and professional (compared to a similar professional track played through the same system)!

So maybe don't write KRKs off - especially as an affordable monitor!

p.s. BTW I use Logitech Z2300s for monitoring :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Father, Son and Alcohol

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts