Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: I've succumbed to gear lust.

I've succumbed to gear lust. 3 years 10 months ago #19926

• tlann
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
I couldn't help myself when I saw the new Mutable Instruments Shruthi-XT

I put it together this weekend. It is surprisingly complex for a DIY synth. I'm really loving it.

Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by tlann.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I've succumbed to gear lust. 3 years 10 months ago #19928

• kim.loco
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 32
Cool..looks like fun to mess around with and the doll,nice one how did you set that up? :laugh: ..Did you need to soldering all yourself?

I've succumbed to gear lust. 3 years 10 months ago #19929

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
I am very jealous right now. I've been wanting to order that since it came out but I haven't done any DIY work for hardware. Was going to start with the basic shruthi. Would you say it's something I could handle as a first DIY project? I want to work up to building an Ambika.

I've succumbed to gear lust. 3 years 10 months ago #19998

• tlann
I did solder it myself. Truthfully, this is one of the easier kits to solder. I've also done an X0xb0x(a lot more involved), a bleep drum(pretty easy), and a thingamagoop (pretty easy).
The thing about soldering is you need to have the right type and size of solder as well as the right soldering iron tip. After that, I would recommend finding a cheap kit online to practice. Soldering really isn't that difficult. Here are a few good tutorials.
As a first kit, I would recommend something else. Try something from bleep labs or makers shed.

The doll is a toy where I just took the outputs that go to the speaker in the toy and soldered wires to it and a 1/4" plug. There are a ton more ways I could bend it. Check out circuit-bending on the interwebs.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by tlann. Reason: Forgot a link
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Fork

I've succumbed to gear lust. 3 years 10 months ago #20018

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Just talked to an engineer buddy of mine He's going to help me build one. Well he's going to teach me how to build it but I told him I wanted to build it myself. So much fun. :cheer:

Can't wait. I wish that it would come with a different filter board. Just having a low pass seems so limiting. I saw you can modify the board but then I went to look at how and realized I had no idea what they were talking about. Time to learn some stuff.

I've succumbed to gear lust. 3 years 10 months ago #20045

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Hopefully going to be ordering mine in 2 weeks here. I don't suppose you have any more sound samples from things you've been working on with the xt. I'd be interested to hear. I actually thought the emo thing with the delay ended up sounding pretty cool from your last vid.

A buddy of mine I think is going to be building the Ambika to which he invited me over to help so I'm hoping to get some experience there too. I'm super psyched to get started on this stuff.

I've succumbed to gear lust. 3 years 9 months ago #20123

• tlann
Mutable Instruments has different filter boards for the Shruthi. I'm thinking about getting the dual SVF multimode filter board aka The Alien. Take a listen mutable-instruments.net/shruthi-filters

An important thing to remember when building your kits are getting the right size and type of solder and soldering tip. It makes a huge difference. I know your friend is going to help you learn, but I would also suggest reading a tutorial or watching a video. The build instructions on the XT suggests this one. www.instructables.com/id/How-to-solder/

If you can, get a soldering practice kit and do a few components first. I would also suggest reading the directions a few times. Browse the first time and then read deeper the next.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more sound samples from the XT. I've barely had it. Maybe less then a month. I've been playing with it a lot. I've recorded a few clips but I don't have anything that is fitting in context with the music I'm writing. I'm kind of a shit producer still
I also work a full time job and have three kids plus I just put together a sonic potions LXR drum synth. So I've been super cray busy. Not going to be doing anymore diys for awhile. I need to focus on making music. :::-)

Good luck and have fun!!!

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts