Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Professional recommendation analog synth connexion

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20471

  • Metzger
  • Metzger's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Posts: 31
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi,

Until today, I was always create music with software vst like FM8, Zebra, Omnisphere etc. But I would like to jump in Analog synth. I'm looking for Moog Minitaur and Arturia Microbrute.

- My Setup : Soundcard - Maudio audiophile 2496
Keyboard - Maudio Axiom Air 49
DAW - Live 9

- The output of my soundcard is plug into Sugden pre-amp and amplifier with studio monitor JBL4412A
- I will not use those system to play live on stage. It's for studio composition.

Question 1 : What do I need to connect those two analog synth to my computer to get a really good Sound Quality?

I read that I need a Multi Channel Audio Interface to get a really good sound quality. If yes, Do you have some suggestion for me? The link I found it's kind of expensive and I don't need that much input. www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/articles/spotlight-1012.htm

Question 2 : Is my Maudio 2496 sound card will be good enough to get a really good sound quality?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20472

  • lucky one
  • lucky one's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran Member
  • Posts: 608
  • Thank you received: 195
Hi Metzger,

I have a Moog (Slim Phatty) and an Arturia MicroBrute, so first thing I have to say is "good choice man!" :)

First thing is that the Minitaur and Microbrute both have mono outputs, so you need only two inputs in your soundcard.
Second thing you need are two shielded mono Jack cables. The fact that they are shielded is really crucial to preserve a good noise ratio at recording.
Third the soundcard. Your actual soundcard looks good enough to me. Maudio is a good brand and the specs of the Maudio audiophile 2496 looks good.
Fourth, I really don't know why you would need a Multi Channel Audio Interface, but I am not a pro sound engineer of course ;)

Hope this help,

Cheers,

Luc
soundcloud.com/lucky-one
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20475

  • Mr Fork
  • Mr Fork's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran Member
  • Posts: 1150
  • Thank you received: 501
There are some good vid tutorials on using hardware in ableton. There are some official ableton ones so you can check on their website for that one but I ran across this one the other day on DJTT. www.djtechtools.com/2014/02/11/using-a-h...h-with-ableton-live/

Mad Zach goes through a pretty good explanation. I can't speak for the audiophile card's inputs. Listen for crackling or popping and if you get some of that you may need to start tracking down the source. Good cables for sure like lucky one said. So yeah go through some info and hook it up and see what you're working with first. I've recently started to make the transition to using some hardware in my setup as well. So far enjoying it. A buddy of mine bought the microbrute and the minibrute and preordered the moog sub37. Going to force him to let me use those lol.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20476

  • lucky one
  • lucky one's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran Member
  • Posts: 608
  • Thank you received: 195
Ah ah, Mad Zach video is really good! I saw it a couple of days ago.

I had to wait that video to understand that I can control all my Moog parameters (such as cutoff and reso) through midi CC messages! Man that simple info changes everything, and it makes me discover my Moog again :woohoo:

So much power... that was just a simple idea away...

Luc
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20514

  • Metzger
  • Metzger's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Posts: 31
  • Thank you received: 6
Mr Fork wrote:
There are some good vid tutorials on using hardware in ableton. There are some official ableton ones so you can check on their website for that one but I ran across this one the other day on DJTT. www.djtechtools.com/2014/02/11/using-a-h...h-with-ableton-live/

Mad Zach goes through a pretty good explanation. I can't speak for the audiophile card's inputs. Listen for crackling or popping and if you get some of that you may need to start tracking down the source. Good cables for sure like lucky one said. So yeah go through some info and hook it up and see what you're working with first. I've recently started to make the transition to using some hardware in my setup as well. So far enjoying it. A buddy of mine bought the microbrute and the minibrute and preordered the moog sub37. Going to force him to let me use those lol.

Hi Mr Fork,

thanks for your site reference. I will check it tonight. I'm very busy those days. I finally bought Microbrute and Korg Volca Keys. Those two are backorder. I should get it in two weeks. How did the moog sub37 sound? I watched some video and it look amazing. I will pre-order one soon.


I
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20515

  • Metzger
  • Metzger's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Posts: 31
  • Thank you received: 6
lucky one wrote:
Hi Metzger,

I have a Moog (Slim Phatty) and an Arturia MicroBrute, so first thing I have to say is "good choice man!" :)

First thing is that the Minitaur and Microbrute both have mono outputs, so you need only two inputs in your soundcard.
Second thing you need are two shielded mono Jack cables. The fact that they are shielded is really crucial to preserve a good noise ratio at recording.
Third the soundcard. Your actual soundcard looks good enough to me. Maudio is a good brand and the specs of the Maudio audiophile 2496 looks good.
Fourth, I really don't know why you would need a Multi Channel Audio Interface, but I am not a pro sound engineer of course ;)

Hope this help,

Cheers,

Luc
soundcloud.com/lucky-one

hey man,

how does the Moog Slim Phatty sound? I ear that it sound amazing. do you like it? I will probably per-order the Sub37 and it's really similar to Phatty.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20516

  • Mr Fork
  • Mr Fork's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran Member
  • Posts: 1150
  • Thank you received: 501
The sub37 isn't out yet but the demo of it sounded amazing. Can't wait till he gets it so I can mess with it. One day I'll get one. Until then I'm sampling the heck out of his lol. :cheer:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20517

  • Metzger
  • Metzger's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Posts: 31
  • Thank you received: 6
Mr Fork wrote:
The sub37 isn't out yet but the demo of it sounded amazing. Can't wait till he gets it so I can mess with it. One day I'll get one. Until then I'm sampling the heck out of his lol. :cheer:

You right, I was thinking about Slim Phatty, the email I just answer before. Is it true it's a limited at only 1000? If it is, I think I will use my credit card :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 7 months ago #20519

  • lucky one
  • lucky one's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran Member
  • Posts: 608
  • Thank you received: 195
Metzger wrote:
how does the Moog Slim Phatty sound? I ear that it sound amazing. do you like it? I will probably per-order the Sub37 and it's really similar to Phatty.

The Slim Phatty sounds amazing, I use it in all my tracks! It really has the Moog sound and nothing can be compared to that sound imo. There is also a drive knob that was not on older Moog generations, and that drive knob really adds a modern and exciting texture to the sound. The Sub37 is going a lot further in that direction from what I can hear in the demo videos.

The MicroBrute is far from sounding as good. It is a huge lot of fun to play, but the Moog sound always remains far above. :)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Luc
soundcloud.com/lucky-one
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by lucky one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Professional recommendation analog synth connexion 3 years 6 months ago #20591

  • Metzger
  • Metzger's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Posts: 31
  • Thank you received: 6
Well, I finally make my choice for a new sound card. I bought the RME Fireface UC :woohoo:

Can't wait to hear the DAC and ADC.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts