Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Cheap synth, any suggestion?

Cheap synth, any suggestion? 3 years 3 weeks ago #20684

• psykopear
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 8
I was thinking to upgrade my setup with an analog synth, to have some nice and fat sounds for basses mainly. My budget is close to zero eheh, so i was looking at the Dave Smith Mopho. Then i saw the Arturia MicroBrute, that looks awesome for it's price (300€ new). Do you guys have any of this, or similar one to suggest for this range of price (not more than 300€)?

edit: even a used walford blofeld should be in this range
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by psykopear.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cheap synth, any suggestion? 3 years 3 weeks ago #20686

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
Hi,

I have the MicroBrute and I love it. it can make really huge and fat sounds + it is quite easy to use. What I like is that all the parameters are available as knobs, so you don't have to dive into complex menus to tune your sound. What you might not like is that there is no preset, so you recreate all your sounds from scratch all the time.

Also the MicroBrute sound is not really clean, it's not called Brute by mistake ;)

Hope this help,

Luc
soundcloud.com/lucky-one
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify

Cheap synth, any suggestion? 3 years 3 weeks ago #20687

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
The microbrute I can say is pretty awesome. Very big sound. I was very impressed with it. For the price I don't think you can beat that one for the sound and features you're getting. I understand the zero budget thing. Maybe what you should do though is save up a bit. Use what you have in the meantime and get something with some additional features. The Bass Station 2 is pretty awesome as is the Minibrute and they're only a little more than what you're looking at. I'm not a huge fan of the mopho. I'm currently building a shruthi by mutable instruments. It's a digital synth but has an analog filter. I've really liked some of the sounds I've heard from it but it does require assembly. Can't say I've used the blofeld. I'm just kinda getting into the hardware thing myself. Another alternative for you man.....you could just look at getting Native Instruments Monark if you're looking for that analog sound. It's an amazing recreation and does give you those big fat bass lines. Would only cost you around 100. Just have to decide if you want the hardware form factor really.

Cheap synth, any suggestion? 3 years 3 weeks ago #20705

• psykopear
Mr Fork wrote:
The microbrute I can say is pretty awesome. Very big sound. I was very impressed with it. For the price I don't think you can beat that one for the sound and features you're getting. I understand the zero budget thing. Maybe what you should do though is save up a bit. Use what you have in the meantime and get something with some additional features. The Bass Station 2 is pretty awesome as is the Minibrute and they're only a little more than what you're looking at. I'm not a huge fan of the mopho. I'm currently building a shruthi by mutable instruments. It's a digital synth but has an analog filter. I've really liked some of the sounds I've heard from it but it does require assembly. Can't say I've used the blofeld. I'm just kinda getting into the hardware thing myself. Another alternative for you man.....you could just look at getting Native Instruments Monark if you're looking for that analog sound. It's an amazing recreation and does give you those big fat bass lines. Would only cost you around 100. Just have to decide if you want the hardware form factor really.

I'm looking if someone wants to take my KP3 as part of the payment for a Minibrute, it could be a good deal. What about the bass station rack version? I've found one for 200€, but i don't know how is it, from videos it didn't look that great

Cheap synth, any suggestion? 3 years 1 day ago #20973

• samwhich
Hey psykopear,

I am also on the hunt for an analogue synth for the same reason with the same budget lol... What has been said already has nailed it IMO. I think the mini/microbrut sounds awesome but I don't reckon it is versatile enough - especially if you want to be using it with Live (and out live). I am looking for a used Little Slim Phatty, Waldorf Pulse 2 or maybe a Mopho for Psy Trance/Psy Funk/Breaks, Glitchy/Tech house basslines and occasionally some deep funky house grooves.

What sounds are you trying to achieve? or Genres should I say? Maybe this might you receive more accurate answers as opposed to people posting their preferred general synth for X amount of dollars. You see a lot of that happening on the Gear Sluts forum. Keen to hear what you do eventually get too and your thoughts - so keep us posted!
Last Edit: 3 years 1 day ago by samwhich. Reason: Typo

Cheap synth, any suggestion? 2 years 10 months ago #21774

• RiverGoblin
I couldnt get on with the microbrute. but then I already own a few synths, a Moog being one of them. I was convinced I wanted to add a microbrute to my studio, until I tried one in a shop.

Cheap analogue synth? just hunt around in the second hand market. New analogues are expensive they just are. If you dont mind the interface, the Korg volcas are amazing value for money, and you get that awsome analogue sound, I like them alot. I ended up aquiring a volca keys, and korg monotribe. Incredible sound range with these things! very affordable too.

My own opinion? the volcas or a monotribe are way more fun, and sound better than a microbrute. just my personal take on it.

Cheap synth, any suggestion? 2 years 10 months ago #21868

• Syikom
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Kawai 100f unknown king of synths

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts