Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Would This Be Good For A Home Studio

Would This Be Good For A Home Studio 3 years 8 months ago #20856

• JCop1
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
I'm very new and I have nothing besides a mac. I want to get speakers and some sort of mixer to start up a little home studio.
I found this at radioshack and its a package bundle.

Samson Expedition XP150 Portable PA System
and heres the link
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?pro...-+%24299.99#inTheBox

would these speakers be good for a home studio for a beginner, and would the mixer work with Ableton Live 9?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Would This Be Good For A Home Studio 3 years 8 months ago #20857

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
I guess I personally would not go that route. I have nothing against Radio shack personally aside from the fact that they're overpriced but what you're looking at there seems to be more of a low end performance option instead of a home studio option. I guess MAYBE it would work...but there are so many better options in mind in my book that I wouldn't look at it. To me it sounds like you're not sure of what basic gear to buy for writing music. "Will the mixer work with Ableton Live 9" is the reason I'm thinking that. It's an analog mixer from what I can tell. So the answer to that question is it has no direct connection or control over Live 9. You need to do some research on gear and "what does what". Before you can do that though you need to answer what you're looking for just in general terms. For instance "I would like to be able to record a guitar". If all you have right now is a mac with no audio interface then I would start by looking at audio interfaces to give you some preamps and 24bit 44.1khz recording specs minimum. Everyone works different and some people will work in 16 bit but I like working 24 bit 48khz. A good example of a great entry level audio interface is the focusrite 2i2. It will allow you to record audio as well as play back audio at higher sample rates and bit depth. For a mixer that "will work with ableton live 9" it sounds more to me like you're looking for a midi controller of some sort than an analog mixer.

Long story short it sounds like you are at the very beginning of this process and you need to start doing some legwork. I recommend that you start with the tutorials produced by ableton which I have placed a link to below. That should give you a better idea of what you need to get started. If I'm misunderstanding just let me know. I may be way off base but it just sounds like you need to learn more before you start throwing money around. Otherwise you may be getting the wrong thing even if someone suggests you something.

www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-live/

Would This Be Good For A Home Studio 3 years 7 months ago #20890

• JCop1
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Thank you Mr. Fork. You always have a good answer for me. I was looking at radio shack, completely forgetting I have a guitar center 15 minutes away from me

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts