Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Maschine vs Push

Maschine vs Push 3 years 3 weeks ago #20999

• Feyra Bass
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Yes, yes, I know. Just pick one, right?
I see many of you already have Maschine and some have both. I only need one and I already have all the software that would come with either one, Komplete and Suite.
So I was wondering -

Do you like the new 2.0 upgrade? What if I don't really need the Push keyboard feature? Pre-listen for Maschine - it's really what we all want anyway, isn't it?
Or any other comment that might help me spend my hard-earned money!

Every where I surf I see "if you have Ableton get Push", but I don't see anywhere where someone would really trade his Maschine for a Push. What do yoooou think?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Maschine vs Push 3 years 3 weeks ago #21012

• Berni T
  • Saw Wave (Platinum Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 137
Well there both quite different beasts. I have the maschine & love the new 2.0 software. It really does boil down to what you want it for. The push is a great controller for Live especially for performance stuff but is pretty much Live only as far as I know. You can use the maschine with it's own stand alone software or use it in any DAW as a vst etc. If you have Komplete the instruments are very well integrated with the controller & is very easy to put together loops & sequence's or even entire arrangements. It also comes with a ton of samples & is infinitely upgradeable with your own stuff or the expansion packs. It really is great value for money IMO.

Maschine vs Push 3 years 3 weeks ago #21033

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
Berni is right, two very different things.

I'm obviously swayed towards the Push.. it's a pretty genius piece of technology and the way it's built means each Ableton update, it functions better.

I find it's more of an instrument than anything, something that requires a bit of patience, practice and learning.

Great for jamming out ideas with the computer away from you.

Maschine vs Push 3 years 3 weeks ago #21058

• RKO
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 6
I have maschine mk1 running with live8.
I have route the audio out to seperate channels in abelton. I use ma schine in vst mode and use it as my midi controller. U then switch between ableton and maschine recording my loops onto ableton.
It's a work around what push already does.
I would spend my money on push.

Maschine vs Push 3 years 3 weeks ago #21066

• Feyra Bass
  • Veteran Member
Thanks guys. So many good things about each.
Push is probably the way to go with Ableton, although I would really like to scroll through my samples without having to set up a 128 rack, and I WANT that.

Here are a bunch of Q and A's on Push from the Ableton website I found helpful too: forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186306
It's time consuming to watch video tutorials and reviews on BOTH units. (sigh) If I just had room (and $) for both! Seriously some of you, why have 3 - 4 keyboards?

Also,I was waiting on the April Fools day sale to happen somewhere but it seems vendors and stores have almost done away with sales. That means I have to call up and beat the poor sales guy into some kind of percentage off. I can usually get something though. You should always ask! One day when I'm (much more) famous people will just send me stuff to test out.
Cheers!

Maschine vs Push 3 years 3 weeks ago #21074

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
I had already replied to you via direct message but just in case you didn't get it there I'll repeat it here. Maschine is great but has it's own workflow. So that is something you would have to deal with is figuring out the best way to integrate it into your workflow inside ableton. I think Berni just exports the audio files when he's done. I think he told me that once. I like to work in midi for as long as I can so I typically route the midi into ableton once I'm done sequencing in maschine. With the 2.0 software that has become a bit fiddly. Push is nice if you want a more hands on approach to ableton but it doesn't do anything that ableton itself can't already do. It just gives you a different way to work inside ableton. User mode is nice for performing. All in all though I find that even with all the extra controls that the push gives me I end up needing to use the software too much. There's certain things I can't tweak on an ableton effect that they didn't program in, or I want to create a rack with multiple chains, etc. I love maschine because I almost never have to go to the software. The integration is so tight. Even with VSTs you can configure the parameters you want to work with. Multiple pages with decently easy navigation.

To me though it sounded more like you wanted a way to control ableton. And for that I say go with the push or the new apc40 mk2 (those should be out soon) depending on what you need it to do. Like I said in my message though this really depends on what you need the hardware to do. Once you know that you'll know what to get. Keep in mind the functionality your launchkey gives you as well as you make your decision (I think you mentioned you got one of those).

Sorry it took a while to respond. Busy Busy.

Maschine vs Push 3 years 1 week ago #21348

• Feyra Bass
  • Veteran Member
Thanks all.
I went with Maschine for now. I only have so much room here to pile hardware in! I've already shelved one 49-key controller.
I like the 2.0 software and tiny cpu usage when using it as a vst in Ableton. (but I have a nice i7 7200rpm for that) So far it rocks! And it helps me with percussion ideas.

Of course you don't get that nice 3 octave 'keyboard' you get with Push but I guess I can use a keyboard for now. Groups are now my friend! Killer kits come with it too.

I think it will work. About time I got a nice pad controller. I didn't know what I was missing. So long mouse!

Maschine vs Push 3 years 1 week ago #21352

• Berni T
  • Saw Wave (Platinum Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 137
You really cant go wrong, it is an extremely versatile instrument. May the beats be with you ;)

Maschine vs Push 2 years 2 months ago #23399

• midifinger
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, they really are two totally different things. But for the record, I bought the Maschine Studio first, six months later I bought the Push... I have only touched the Maschine once since then... I LOVE my push. Check out The Push XT script. Wow.

Maschine vs Push 2 years 2 months ago #23400

• RKO
I am selling my mk1 maschine controller.
After 6 mths with it all I have done is a few loops.
Good move

Maschine vs Push 2 years 2 months ago #23402

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
What do you think of the new launchpad pro?
Clearly inspired from Push, and only 299$

Personally, I'm quite impressed, it is very well designed :)

Cheers,

Luc
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by lucky one.

Maschine vs Push 2 years 2 months ago #23408

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Launchpad pro is definitely a good lookin controller and very much along the same line as push although more performance oriented whereas push does have those extra production features and added functionality if you get the push xt script. I have both push and maschine and the thing that I have found is that I had a really tough time figuring out how to implement it into my workflow. Maschine especially with the new 2.2 software is pretty much a DAW and ableton live which is a more robust DAW than maschine.....well why would I want to use maschine then. It occurred to me though that I was thinking about it all wrong. I needed to be looking at what maschine could do as an "instrument" before I really started figuring out how and when to use maschine. Let's say you have a roland 808....what does it do...it's an instrument...a drum machine instrument that is generating drum sounds and patterns. You set up the patterns you want to hear and then you record them into your DAW. It's function IS that of a drum machine because it IS a drum machine. So then you get to maschine and you have all these things that your daw can already do...why use it?

Well first off the sampler on maschine is significantly different in the way it works and it allows you to pretty much exclusively work in the hardware. Ableton's sampler is nice but you can't use even half it's functionality from the push which means you're sitting in the software. Is that a bad thing? Maybe...depends on how you work.

So then you take a look at maschine 2.0 software. Comes with drum synths that are exclusive to maschine. Amazingly easy to dial up any drum sound you can think of and the synths sound amazing. This gets you out of the realm of straight up samples to creating potentially something new. Instead of a one shot drum preset you can sculpt it from synth level. So if you use it just for the drum synths then it serves the same purpose as say an 808 or a 909. Allowing you to create drum sounds and patterns to be implemented into your DAW. With 2.2 now it also has a chord generator with chord progressions. So say you're not good at making chord progressions. you can go into maschine and set one up really easy. Export it as audio or midi to your DAW to work with. Maschine also comes with some proprietary effects. You can send audio from your daw to maschine and use it as an effects processor.

Anyway those are just a few things that I've noticed. I'd also have to say that maschines pads are about 10 times better than the push controllers pads for my feel anyway. The akai pads have no give and it really takes a good punch to get it to full velocity no matter what you set the velocity curve at. All that said they both have room in my studio because I use ableton as my DAW and maschine as an instrument. For those who just prefer to work in one environment or maybe don't even like the idea of hardware that is external to ableton then you're probably right......you may not find much use in Maschine. then I'd just look at a daw controller. Whatever you buy though I recommend this......before you buy ask yourself "can I make music with this" or "will this help me write music in the way I like to work". You'll save yourself a lot of money. and that goes for vsts too.

Maschine vs Push 2 years 2 months ago #23410

• RKO
I'm on the fence with this one(launchpad pro). A lot of pre programming required beforehand like tha apc40.
My last 2 tracks have been done with the mouse.Go figure.!
And for jamming i am moving back to hardware.
The Maschine 2.2 with drumsynths running and three vst"s keeps cpu around 80% and that just makes maschine too unstable for live jamming. On the otherhand Maschine runs fine only using samples.
:)

Maschine vs Push 2 years 2 months ago #23413

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Yeah I did notice that maschine even with it's new multicore support seems to still have issues when you start using vsts that they still haven't worked out. Either that or there's a setting somewhere that I missed that allows for better use of multicore (which may very well be I'll have to look tonight). That being said though I think i had 9 different instances of bazille and serum running and those are two of the most resource intensive plugins on the market as well as a full panel of drum synths. Eventually I did have to drop to audio but that's easy enough to do in maschine. Another thing I noticed is that the more groups you add the more resources your system reserves. As an experiment start up a blank project and just start adding blank groups and watch your cpu meter. I can get about 10 or 11 groups before my cpu is maxed without ever adding a sample or vst. So that being said if I pack my synths into one group it seems to handle it a bit better. I have a feeling they'll be working on this going forward though. And again I'm not advocating that maschine is the end all be all for all things and everyone. Just saying that understanding the purpose that something serves in your setup will help you with workflow and knowing the gaps you have in your setup that you need to account for.

I agree with you on the preprogramming part of launchpad and such. I was looking for something more intuitive and such for live purposes. You see these people get on these devices and just go nuts like M4sonic and Thavius Beck but the thing is that they spend that time putting together a bunch of tools that really work for them. I haven't found a tool yet that hasn't required a bunch of setup to do exactly what I want. Of late I've been looking at the new electribes. If you're a live jamming kinda person I'd say check that out too. The combination of synth plus kaoss pad is pretty sweet imo.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts