Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Recording Analogue Synths > Live (Quality Loss??)

Recording Analogue Synths > Live (Quality Loss??) 2 years 8 months ago #22530

• samwhich
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is a dumb question but would recording a Moog Minitaurs analogue outputs into Ableton as a wave file lose its analogue sound qualities rendering it no better then a softsynth in your overall mix?

If I am already achieving very fat/chunky (personally satisfying) basslines from my current choice of softsynth, is it worth me buying the Minitaur?

Would it only be worth buying the Minitaur if I was routing the outputs straight to the studio mixer - not through Live?

I am thinking of buying a Minitaur to create Prog Trance basslines and deep/dark squelches and to see what all this analogue who-haa is about. Not sure I will benefit from this purchase...I usually use my Virus Ti2 or operator for squelches and FX etc

Thanks for any advice and tips! No Digital vs Analogue debates please!!! :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Recording Analogue Synths > Live (Quality Loss??) 2 years 8 months ago #22537

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
Everyone that uses a hardware analog synth, that sounds amazing, will ultimately end up with the tune being digitised to make it available for download or on CD. Yet the songs with the analog synths still have a certain 'thing' that digital synths don't. Which is why they are still around and more are released each year. Some softsynths are getting close, but tbh I find the beauty of a hardware synth, is the hands on knob twiddling.

Recording Analogue Synths > Live (Quality Loss??) 2 years 7 months ago #22613

• samwhich
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks Blacksun.

Still very much on the fence with this whole analogue/digital synth thing (for my style of music) however due to the semi it gave me in the shop tweaking that Moog filter, I have ordered a Minitaur to see first hand how it sits in the mix in my studio :D. Lets see if I can be converted!

For anyone else reading this that is interested, I am currently using a cheap plugin for my Psy/Prog basslines called PsyTrance Bass X1 by Creative123. You can here a demo of it in one of my tracks here: soundcloud.com/wingatui/wingatui-fanta-pants . Took me a while to get a feel for this plugin but I am finally achieving some satisfying results with it. This is what I will be comparing the Minitaur against when it arrives.

Can't wait!! :) :D

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts