Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Headphones

Headphones 2 years 7 months ago #23331

• dozz
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi !

I have problem finding right "stuff" for monitoring/mixing my music.
In beginning of my journey to music i bought Audio Technica M50x headphones for my mixing, but im not happy with them, i think they are nowhere near accurate, every sound they reproduce is wonderful, nice, rich, made by mermaids :) . And beside that, they are totally uncomfortable . Just for listening music, from time to time i think they are out of this planet but for producing, not so good.
I dont know if its because of overwhelming bass or something else, but i dont hear some parts or mistakes (i think its mids) while using them which i momentarily hear in car, or on 5$ in-ear headphones.
So im thinking of getting Samson SR850, they are cheaper and i hope have more accurate reproduction in mids and highs than this one, judging by articles they should.. Larger soundstage, clearer mids, highs...
Thinked of AKG k-702 , but they are little pricey for me just to try them out like i would with SR850 and leave them for comparsion . Have any recomendation ?

Since my room is acoustically untreated, monitors are out of question or maybe some small near-field monitors can do job on low volume even in untreated room ?

Thx in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Headphones 2 years 7 months ago #23332

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
I got some headphones and based on Karl (K37)'s advice, went with KNS-8400 headphones from KRK.
They seem excellent to me and an improvement on my monitors which due to the crappy location and acoustics in the room are quite basey and boomy.
The only thing is, you do get more stereo separation on the phones. so do check on a speaker system (although these days probably 99% of all music is played through phones).
(please note Im deaf as a post above 8khz, so don't take my recommendation as gospel without checking them out yourself)

Headphones 2 years 7 months ago #23333

• dozz
KNS-8400 was on my check list before i bought ATH-M50x, but reading all that reviews on internet how good m50x are, I finally bought M50x . Now im reading that reviews again and im finding same conclusion like mine. But I swear i didnt see that before or to be honest i didnt understand what that exactly means.. :) I spoted that SR850 for 50$, they are open not closed like M50x. So i could check lows on M50x and mids and highs on SR850 . Bought closed cause of insolation, but its another weak point of M50x.... LOL.

Headphones 2 years 5 months ago #23658

• RickCogley
Headphones are a giant, deep rabbit hole in my opinion. It's really hard to make heads or tails of what is recommendable, since it _is_ a bit down to how your ears are. That being said:

As for me, I have Sony MDR-CD900ST studio monitors (flat response) that I use when making a screencast or something like that, and some that are an OEM'ed version of the Sound Warrior SW-HP11. And for pleasure listening, I have Beyerdynamic T90's.

A couple other ones I auditioned at the "e-earphone" shop in Tokyo (a motherlode of headphones, and the shop that has the SW-HP11's as a house brand):

* Koss porta-pro - amazing sound for such a cheap set of 'phones, suitable to rock
* Sennheiser HD 650, 700, 800 - wow, but a pricey wow
* V-Moda crossfade 100 - really bass-y but sounded great
* Grado - various. Good but the Japan price was pretty high so I went for the T90 which was similar to US price even in Japan.
* Stax - hahaha, wow. These are electrostatic, and you should try if you ever have a chance. It's one of the ones that are "thousands of dollars" but unbelievable sound.

Headphones 1 year 11 months ago #24518

• midifinger
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm rocking a Sennheiser HMD-280-13 headset... love it.

Headphones 1 year 11 months ago #24535

• mc
Ultrasone - the PROline are awesome as studio headphones.
for the studio - they're very neurtral but very very detailed. it's amazing.
it seems v.few folks have experience with this austrian phones, but esp, if your cercumstances requires a closed phone the pro 750s are well worth checking out.
www.ultrasone-headphones.com/en/products/pro/pro-750

good luck

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts