Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: First Monitors - KRK Rokit 6's? / Yamaha / _______

First Monitors - KRK Rokit 6's? / Yamaha / _______ 1 year 3 weeks ago #25662

• GiftGiver
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 27
Hello Fam!

I've been slowly building my "bedroom studio" and am ready to shell out some cash for some monitors. I see tons of love AND hate for the KRKs, but funnily enough they seem to be in the background of many, many, videos I watch of interviews of producers I admire. Interesting :P hahah

I have about $450 I'm willing to shell out, which could nab me some of the Rokit 6's.

Sylnk, a dude whose tutorials I have been watching lately says he uses some Fostex PM2 Mkii's, which are sadly out of production. I noticed those are 8" speakers.

In a couple other forums I have been told "just buy the most expensive headphones you can afford, you're a beginner and you shouldn't buy monitors till you're ready to shell out waaay more cash." Maybe that's true but I felt it was a tad of a pretentious response, and I'm not really excited to shell out $350 for some Sennheiser HD 600s... Honestly I'm tired of producing in headphones (currently using Sony MDR 7506's) - they get uncomfortable, hurt my head and ears, and I can't truly feel the music or hear what the sounds are doing out in open space. It's extremely difficult to make deep bass sounds also using headphones (for me anyway). Sure dropping 1k or whatever on monitors would result in a better sound, but I'm just trying to get my feet wet and have some fun. (Note: I also have a turntable I enjoy messing around with and would be routing my mixer to these monitors as well) Maybe if I actually release a tune someday I'll make the move to upgrade.

That all being said: any suggestions on entry level, fun to use, similarly priced monitors? Anyone have a set of the KRKs? What do you think?

Thank you a lot in advance for any input!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First Monitors - KRK Rokit 6's? / Yamaha / _______ 1 year 3 weeks ago #25663

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
Hi GiftGiver,

I own a pair of Rockit 6 for many years now, and they are awesome! Maybe not as flat as some other monitors, a lot of sub, but once you start listening your preferred music on it, you can use the rockit 6 to mixdown your tracks without problem. That's the trick with the Rockit, it's such a pleasure to listen good music with them that it's easy to do it a lot. And once you have your reference sound in the ear, it's easier to get the appropriate mixdown.

It's really necessary to mix both on headphones and monitors in my opinion. A mix can sound awesome on headphones and completely empty on speakers.

I also own a pair of Rockit 5 in my small studio room. The Rockit 5 are more than enough to perform a good mixdown. I used only the 5 for this mixdown:

soundcloud.com/lucky-one/the-night

Of course, I am not a pro, so get more feedback on this ;-)

Cheers,

Luc
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify

First Monitors - KRK Rokit 6's? / Yamaha / _______ 1 year 3 weeks ago #25664

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
I personally think the Rockits are good units... I don't own a pair but they always sound nice and fat and seem to be a good standard for an entry point. I personal (still) use some Mackie MR5s... cheap and do the trick! Never really felt the need to upgrade... perhaps when I get a new studio with decent sound proofing.

First Monitors - KRK Rokit 6's? / Yamaha / _______ 1 year 3 weeks ago #25667

• GiftGiver
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 27
Thanks guys! And Tom, when I saw how you handled someone in chat questioning your monitors during one your recent Grouch Remix videos I instantly thought "okay just get some monitors, my room isn't going to be treated either, just have fun!"

Stoked!

First Monitors - KRK Rokit 6's? / Yamaha / _______ 11 months 3 weeks ago #25728

• Feyra Bass
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 87
I have the Yamaha 7's. I found the Rokits boosted some frequncies, so it sounded good but I didn't find them accurate.
But hey, lots of people have then and love them!

Cheers! FB

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts