Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Would you use this? (concept for a M4L device)

Would you use this? (concept for a M4L device) 4 years 1 week ago #19360

• caris
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 73
I have an idea for a device that you could drop on a track, from it you could load various standard midi clips, which could be used for patterns for drum racks. The device would have a listing of categories, stuff like: rock, latin, d&b, dub, house, r&b, etc. which you would select, and then you would get a list of available patterns for standard drum machine beats that would drop the midi onto your current track. The device would come with a number of common patterns, and the you could load more into it or save your own.

Would you use something like that?

Would other producers?

Would you pay $10 for such a device?

Would you pay to buy additional patterns?

Does anything like this already exist?

Just thinking about putting it together and wondering if it would be worth the effort. I'd appreciate your input.

~Caris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Would you use this? (concept for a M4L device) 4 years 1 week ago #19361

• French
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 7
I like the idea. Would be a great when hashing out ideas fast.

To clarify, are you planning to have the device output midi alone? If so is the plan to use the device with a drum rack, find a pattern you want and then simply record the midi out put?

An added functionality could be to have a range of macros the control an output of 'randomly' generated midi or to further sculpt 'stock' midi clips. I think this would fit well with your idea as it would expand the devices creative ability.

I would pay - I would keep all content (midi clips) free though as part of the package. Maybe have a way that users can easily rate and share midi clips for use with the device. That way a healthy user base is more likely to develop.

Is worth the effort IMO. Do it right though, make it more of a comprehensive 'go to' plugin aimed at stoking the fires of creativity
Cheers
Anton

Would you use this? (concept for a M4L device) 4 years 1 week ago #19365

• caris
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 73
Thanks for the feedback. I like the user base idea as that would keep from having to develop additional content for it, users could simply do that and submit to a library, which other users could then rate and download - good idea. That would work better with free content, which would likely mean the initial device would need to be a paid item, though it's possible I could do a free version which didn't allow loading/saving of additional midi - and a paid version which does - have to think on that some more.

The random/parameter generated midi is an interesting idea. FL Studio has that built in and though I never used it myself, I know it can be useful for generating ideas or when you are stuck - to help get something going. One I'm able to load midi it would be straight forward to generate midi, so it's a good add on.

I was thinking of this for drum rack, perhaps with some sort of mapping scheme to tell the device where your kicks/snare/claps/hats/crash/etc are so that you don't have to rearrange your devices in order to fit my mapping scheme, though it will definitely make it more work to allow it to remap the location of the sounds, so I'll have to see if that's a realistic goal. Though this is intended for drum rack, there is probably no reason that it wouldn't work on other types of devices if I build it correctly - which would work well with the addition of generated midi.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts