Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: max4live device and vst

max4live device and vst 2 years 9 months ago #21113

• benjaminsravikumar
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 15
whats the difference between a max4live device and a vst... isnt max a programming language?? is max4live and max the same thing? if it is the same is there a way to use max devices on other daw's?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

max4live device and vst 2 years 9 months ago #21117

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
VSTs and Max for Live devices are similar in nature. They are both systems that require a certain set of information to run.

VSTs are more globally recognized. It was a system introduced by Steinberg and it caught on, so other DAWs started offering support so that VST could be a universal way for people to create plugins that work in all software.

You can think of it sort of like an mp3 file. It became a standard form of compression that is used by almost all audio players, however an .mp3 file on it's own can't produce any sound as it's a compressed bundle of code. You need to have some software (iTunes/ Ableton) etc that has the right information on how to take this bunch of code, decompress it and present it as music.

VSTs (and Max for Live) devices are similar. By themselves they are nothing but code, but when the right software can understand and process it, it becomes something you can interact with.

Max for Live is less popular and known than VST, but it's similar as in it needs Ableton Live 9 to process and compile the devices that you can use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: benjaminsravikumar

max4live device and vst 2 years 9 months ago #21120

• benjaminsravikumar
i kind of know what they are...... my question though, is if your programming something on max can you compile it into a vst or is it only for max for live.... like if i wanted to use the device on another daw is it possible... if someone uses max to make a device it can be compiled into a vst ??? thanks in advance.. :D :D

max4live device and vst 2 years 9 months ago #21121

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
Unfortunately I don't believe you can.

There used to be a way around it called Pluggo, where you would install the 'software' on your computer, then you could load max/msp devices in any DAW but I Think it's been discontinued.

There is a way to make stand alone MAX/MSP devices, but this isn't supported with Max for Live

max4live device and vst 2 years 9 months ago #21138

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
That I'm aware of Ben there's no way to use a m4l device without ableton. Max 4 Live is specific to ableton and tied into it's structure which, as far as I'm aware of, means the compiler is only available when live is running. Most vsts that I've seen are written in C++ although I'm sure there are other languages in use. Like Tom mentioned as well you can make standalone apps with the full version of Max but I'm not sure if you can make a VST with max. Haven't checked into it. Although I think I will as I have been interested in trying to make a vst synth or a soft synth of some sort that can run on a small embedded system like an arduino. Anyway hope that helps.

max4live device and vst 2 years 9 months ago #21139

• benjaminsravikumar
thanks mr fork and tom!!!! really appreciated....

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts