Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Scrub - Experimental Sample Playback Device

Scrub - Experimental Sample Playback Device 2 years 10 months ago #21379

• SandvichDISH!
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Hi everyone.
I was poking around on the internet looking for cool stuff, when I found this pretty neat blog:
sounddesignwithmax.blogspot.nl/2013/04/t...yback-for-sound.html
I thought that device was really quite cool, but it would be more useful to me if it was a Max4Live device.

So I made this:
ScrubV1.03

1: Drop a sample in the sample box.
2: Draw a cool course through the sample using the graph in the middle, where the X axis represents time and the Y axis the location in the sample.
3: Trigger it with any midi note and listen.

I've found that you can make some really cool sounds with it. It's especially good for strange percussion if you ask me, if you use the Sync Time menu and enable the grid you can create crazy rhythmic sounds.

Download Link

If you find any bugs or have any ideas on how to improve this device, or you just want to say it's cool / worthless, please do tell me! All comments are appreciated.

Credit for the original concept behind this device goes to Mark Durham.

Changelog:
1.01 - Fixed multiple instances harassing each other and made it continue looping during release
1.02 - Added line indicating progress through envelope.
-Fixed Sync Time menu to give out the correct times.
1.03 - Made it so that the device parameters are stored so that it remains the same if you reload your live set or duplicate it.
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by SandvichDISH!.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl37

Scrub - Experimental Sample Playback Device 2 years 10 months ago #21382

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
I started doing some M4L programming. I've been kinda working on it of late. This is quite a bit more complex than the stuff I've been working on so far. I'll have to try this out. It's definitely a cool concept. The one thing I was thinking is that the way that the xy is laid out isn't laid out for any great precision in my mind. Keep in mind that I'm not sure everything you can do with M4L but it seems to me that it would be tough to figure out how the drawn pattern will affect the sample. For instance if you've used granulator it shows you what the device is doing and what part of the file is being used as you're playing it. Something like that would make this better for precision but I'm not sure how you'd do it. Anyway just a thought. May have more feedback after I've used it.

Scrub - Experimental Sample Playback Device 2 years 10 months ago #21385

• SandvichDISH!
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 52
I've got an indicator showing what part of the sample you are playing in the sample box in the bottom left, and I just added a marker to show progress through the envelope. I think it does a decent job of indicating what the device is actually doing, although I have some ideas how I could perhaps make it even clearer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Fork

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts