Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Midi Controller Mapping!

Midi Controller Mapping! 2 years 3 months ago #23504

• Cielu
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hello,
My name is Peter, I'm young mechanical engineer.
Acutally I am working on some MIDI controllers.
I've made one which is designed for controlling audio effects in ableton.

Here is how it works:

It consists of 6 Potentiometers. Each of the potentiometer sends following MIDImessage
(Channel 1...8, Controler Parameter 1...6, Value 0...127)
There are also 2 buttons allowing you to switch channels from 1 to 8.
Each potentiometer can be "turned off" and "turned on". When it's off - you can switch it's position and it will not send any MIDI data.
When you turn it on - then it will send it's new position.

Why did i decide to make it?
Now i have 6 potentiometers and can take control of 48 parameters.

However Mapping this is really annoying if you start new project.
Choose effect 1, turn pot 1,2,3. Switch Channel.
Choose effect 2, turn pot 1,2,3...6 Switch Channel and so on and so on...

Is there anyone with a better Max for Live or just Ableton knowledge who could write a 'standard mapping'?
For for example 3-4 mostly used effects in Ableton (Eq, Reverb, Beat Repeater) ?

My example idea is:
Channel One - Equilizer. Pot 1 - Gain Low . Pot 2 - Gain Mid . Pot 3 - Gain High. Rest - None or "Map it yourself"
Channel Two - Beat Repeater. Pot 1 - Interval. Pot 2 - Pattern. Pot 3 - Chance.
Channel Three - Reverb. Pot 1 - Freq. Pot 2 - gain. Pot 3 - Dry/Wet. Pot 4 - Early Reflection Freq. Pot 5 - E. R. Gain.

And so on and so on.

Thanks for reading this so long post please write your ideas for mapping, ask questions and feel free to comment :)
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Cielu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Midi Controller Mapping! 2 years 3 months ago #23508

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
Hiya
controllers like push, Launchpad and novation sl, use scripts that sit in one of the directories in ableton. Sorry not near my computer at the moment so cant say which folder. looking at these might give you some ideas on how to permanently setup mappings for common devices without having to manually map a control to each device. Add a user mode button that free's the controls so you can do the manual mapping and you have the best of both worlds.
Good luck and Im looking forward to seeing a youtube video from you.

Midi Controller Mapping! 2 years 3 months ago #23510

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
found a decentish site that explains it a bit
julienbayle.net/ableton-live-9-midi-remote-scripts/

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts