Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub??

Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub?? 3 years 6 months ago #21934

• Jemeneye
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 55
I currently monitor my mixes on Rokit KRK 5" Gen 2 studio monitors. I've generally enjoyed these and their sound, however, I'm looking to get more bass response (these are currently limited to 52hz).

Initially I decided to purchase Rokit KRK 6" Gen 3 studio monitors bc they extend down to 38hz. I figured I'd get a better bass response, better sound, and better monitoring in the 40 to 60hz range with these (I normally roll of below 40hz anyway).

This all changed when I went to my local music shop today. I was told that what I should be doing is keeping my 5"s and buying a sub instead (the salesman seemed quite insistent that this was the right course to take). I understand that I'll get a better representation of the low end with a sub. However, I've heard this can introduce more problems then remedies when it comes to at home mixing. Please let me know your thoughts and if I should stick to the original plan (KRK Rokit 6"s) or go in for the Sub woofer.

**Also, because I know you're probably going to ask about my room... I have a large rectangle-shaped room with a high-sloped vaulted ceiling. I'll get the dimensions for you guys soon. Thanks again for any help

My desk is right below this painting

Opposing view...

I'll try to get dimensions when I go home.

EDIT: Dimensions are 25 X 14"
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Jemeneye.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub?? 3 years 6 months ago #21939

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Very nice home by the way. I really like the look of that. That being said though I think that trying to incorporate a sub into that space would be a nightmare. There are so many variables going on. Placement would be really tough. Too man reflection points that are going to cause you issues. I'm assuming you won't be doing much with sound treatment in there either. So there are some things to keep in mind here.

Frequency dropoff around the crossover point. Will the 5s give you enough of the low mid response to give you a fluid crossover with your sub. You may end up getting a better representation of your sound going with the 6s.

How does the room handle bass. If you have a surround system with a sub or something to the effect I would put those speakers in that room and try playing it in there. Play a song you're familiar with. How does the bass sound compared to how you're used to hearing it?

Can you return the sub. Sometimes if a piece of gear doesn't work out they'll let you return it. Find out if they allow returns.

Personally, considering you won't have much control over the room I'd probably go with a really good set of near fields that give you accurate representation for all frequencies you need to hear. I tried a couple subs in my current room but it sounded too sloppy to me to be considered useful. I have a vaulted ceiling in my current setup but am building a room for studio work. The treatment I would have had to do to get it to sound right in my current setup would have been too great to bother with it. Anyway. Just an opinion. Hope that helps. Also it would be interesting to find out why that guy thinks the sub is the deal. Sales people alot of times are hyping something up. He probably isn't thinking with your situation in mind he just thinks subs are cool and give you better bass. I'd show a picture of the room and see what he says about how to handle it or what sort of treatment the room would need to appropriately handle the sub and the reflections.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jemeneye

Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub?? 3 years 6 months ago #21940

• Jemeneye
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 55
Thank you so much Fork! Also, thanks for the kind words on my house. I moved in 2 years ago and I still haven't put much stuff in it... and I don't really plan on acoustically treating it- I've heard people say they've spent so much $$ treating their rooms and it still hasn't helped them as much as they thought. From what I gather a larger more 'square' room is the better room to really get your sound right. I'd hate to put many bass traps in all of those different corners only to find that it only helped my sound slightly. I might treat an empty bedroom I have upstairs which is where I was planning on transplanting my 5"s, but it's a smaller room and I guess that's a subject for another day... My plan is to have a pretty good representation of my sound, and then to make my tracks as good as possible with the knowledge I know and am constantly learning, then sending them to a mastering place where they have better ears and properly acoustically treated room.

I appreciate your advice bc mixing with the sub just seems odd to me. When I think about it:
-What if the sub is overpowering my mix and it's drowning out my other frequencies thus causing for a worse mixing enviornment.
-Where do I put my sub? There's many possibilities and I'm sure I get a different sound no matter where I put it.
-I'm not an expert and nowhere close... This lends itself to me not even knowing if I'm creating more harm then good or vice versa when I add this to my odd shaped room.

To answer your question: I'm not really sure how my room handles the bass as is. I think it sounds good for the 5"s but then again these are the only pair of near fields I've ever owned.... I know for sure I'm developing my ear, but that's only with the gear and headphones that I currently have...

The guy was saying that the near fields (whether 5s, 6s, or 8s) aren't giving me much power in the low end, and that even though the 6s and 8s represent 38hz and 35 hz respectively, they aren't really putting much power in those areas; hence the subwoofer. The one thing I did appreciate was the A/B with sub & without sub when mixing. I understand you have to play your finished track on as many systems as possible. But there's a sub in my car and my gf has a surround system w/ sub, so I figure I can always listen on there...

Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub?? 3 years 6 months ago #21941

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Yeah the guy you talked to sounds more like an audiophile than someone who writes tracks. Either that or he's really into the bass heavy genres. "Power on the bass end". Well he's right that the sub will give you some power but it may not be what you need. On my end accurate representation is far more important. Bottom line is that you could get the sub and you would likely get used to writing with it over time. Depending on the quality of the sub, however, and it's response in the room you may be doing more harm than help. Mixing with a sub actually is something that's done so it's not out of the ordinary. Usually though, most of the people I've talked to that use them say they just use them at the end of their process just to make sure they have the proper balance on the sub bass. So it ends up being used very minimally according to them. When I had access to the sub I'd have to say I agree. It just seemed to get in the way too often probably due to an improperly balanced room. Most of these people also had multiple sets of monitors and recommended that you had at least one set without a sub for referencing. Having multiple sets/sizes of monitors is a good idea in my opinion if you can afford it and you want your mixes to translate well without having to hire a pro mix engineer. Studio monitors plus headphones seems to work fairly well but even at that I do plan on getting another set of monitors. Probably 8 inch. I found it interesting that he referred to the 8s as a nearfield. I've always thought of them more as a mid field. I could be wrong on that though but when I listen to 8s I always want to sit further back to hear the sound properly.

As to if it's worth treating your room? You'll find some different schools of thought but the most common I've heard among mix engineers is that you should put more money into treating your room than buying gear. Since, without a properly treated room, it may be physically impossible to hear the things you need to hear. These people are the guys who make the big bucks though and you have to wonder how much money you'd have to put in before you WOULD notice that difference. Until you get it just right you're just shifting reflections and possibly not diffusing in the right places.

Anyway if you're already comfortable with mixing on your nearfields and they seem to handle the room just fine I'd just upgrade those. With the reflections in the room you may also want to consider a decent set of studio "cans" to pair it with. Just a thought. Anyway sorry for the really long post.

Upgrading my home studio. Do I need a sub?? 3 years 6 months ago #21942

• Berni T
  • Saw Wave (Platinum Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 137
I have a 10" sub as well as my Mackie HR824's but never use it when I'm mixing down a track. I tend to only use it when I want to listen to clubby music that has lots of sub in it. It's too much otherwise. I think a sub in your room would sound quite boomy but sometimes you want that only not when you are mixing. I would go for some larger near fields maybe some 8", the Mackie's sound great with plenty of bass.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts