Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Mastering Within Live Production Setup

Mastering Within Live Production Setup 1 year 2 months ago #25676

Hello! New to this community - thanks in advance for your help.

TL;DR skip down one paragraph. :)
My intention is to have a live production & DJ setup where I can both improvise over the songs I am DJing, as well as mix in tracks and stems of my own, all live. I'm using several MIDI controllers and Live 9, and trying to use native instruments and effects as much as possible to keep CPU down (using native filter instead of plugin, or Massive instead of Serum, for example). I have created a performance template based on Tom Cosm's and Ill Gates' APC40 templates as well as other tutorials online, and based on my experience slowly modifying this over the past few years. Basically, my "instruments" are two tracks as DJ decks, five live tracks (drums, bass, lead, chord, live instrument input) and the live group to master control for all those, which I control with an APC40, then dummy clips that I control with a Launchpad, and effects I control with the Midi Fighter Twister (great tool, has come in super handy).

My question is this: what tips do ya'll have for mastering within this type of setup? Would you have a mastering rack on each instrument, or the live group, or the Master track, or all of the above? What effects do you recommend? Limiter or compressor? Which EQ? Also, would I be able to get away with just having set mastering parameters that I always use and not change on the fly, or would I need to be able to mess with those in addition to the effects on the instruments themselves?

Thanks for the help!

--Ethan Moses // Noble Theft // Portland, OR
soundcloud.com/noble-theft
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mastering Within Live Production Setup 1 year 2 months ago #25681

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
Usually you indeed want to keep your performance setup quite light, to avoid CPU overload during the live set.
Personally, I use one EQ per track, + a limiter per solo/live instrument track. I also have an EQ + a colored compressor and a limiter on the master.

I also use a lot of sidechain (kick on bass..., solo and vocals on pads...)

Cheers,

Luc
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by lucky one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts