Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Mastering tutorial?

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 5 months ago #17418

Dear Tom, my friend Colby and I have been wanting to ask you a couple questions about mastering. What is your process for mastering all your tracks?
Mastering has been an ongoing debate since the very beginning of our musical journey, If you would be so kind we would really appreciate it if you could record a quick tutorial to show your process.

Please and thank you!
- Colby & Wyatt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 5 months ago #17540

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
I'm assuming you've seen the post on this but just in case you didn't see it Tom is planning on adding some mastering tutorials for the pro members. Mr Bill will be doing the videos. I haven't heard a date on it yet but it's likely a little hectic as they're both touring.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 5 months ago #17541

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
That would be worth renewing my pro subscription for, i think Mr.Bills work is some of the best sounding material i have ever heard, any tips from Mr.Bill and Tom can only be a good thing.

I look forward to this myself. :)
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 5 months ago #17547

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Yeah I'm pretty psyched as I've been wanting to get into mastering. I'd like to get some hardware and ozone. Gotta get some funds together. ;)

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 5 months ago #17552

Well, this question was actually meant for Tom.
it would be nice if we could have some help without having to pay for it,
pay for the 800$ program, 100$+ samples, 100$+ vst's,
some free help would be nice for once..

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 5 months ago #17558

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
cosmiclotusdream wrote:
Well, this question was actually meant for Tom.
it would be nice if we could have some help without having to pay for it,
pay for the 800$ program, 100$+ samples, 100$+ vst's,
some free help would be nice for once..

It would be nice to learn some mastering tips....but i would only master myself to get my tracks sounding decent for soundcloud use and personal use.
For anything else it would definitely be wise to send my track out to someone qualified and has experience with mastering tracks, that has all the right gear and more importantly for me....another set of ears to listen to the mix and to have an outsider master the track....i think this alone is priceless.

Would be cool to have a bunch of people on this forum including myself exchange tracks and we all have a go at mastering a track of each others, im sure we would learn a lot and come up with some good results. ;)

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17609

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that SAME exact statement, I could buy my own studio.
I'm tired of hearing it.

we would like to know, from Tom himself. How he uses the built-in ableton plugins, compressors, EQ8, reverb, ect ect.
on the master channel to master his tracks before/after the mixdown.
the process of how he makes his tracks loud, yet not ear bleeding.

please and thank you.

no we are not soldiers in the loudness wars.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by cosmiclotusdream.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17613

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
cosmiclotusdream wrote:
If I had a nickel for every time I heard that SAME exact statement, I could buy my own studio.
I'm tired of hearing it.

we would like to know, from Tom himself. How he uses the built-in ableton plugins, compressors, EQ8, reverb, ect ect.
on the master channel to master his tracks before/after the mixdown.
the process of how he makes his tracks loud, yet not ear bleeding.

please and thank you.

no we are not soldiers in the loudness wars.

Maybe if you take part in the community and actually contribute something to the forums you might get your answer more quickly.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17637

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Karl37 wrote:
Would be cool to have a bunch of people on this forum including myself exchange tracks and we all have a go at mastering a track of each others, im sure we would learn a lot and come up with some good results. ;)

I'm definitely game for that man. It's an interesting thing though that everyone says "send the track out to someone qualified" for mastering. It seems like all the time I hear stuff about "leave mastering to qualified people". I'm trying to work my way toward being "qualified" to master. That's my ultimate goal. I wonder what makes one "qualified". Most mastering engineers tell you that it's mostly about the ear. Being able to hear certain things in the mix and adjust for them. It's really confusing.

cosmic....first off....how many of you are there? you referred to yourself as "we". Second thing....I totally understand what you mean by shelling out money for samples and programs but the trick is you don't HAVE to. Especially nowadays there are so many free items out there and stuff that costs way less due to market saturation that you can literally get a decent DAW for under $100. You can make your own samples instead of buying them as well. So many options. The cost of access to Tom's tutorials is $10 a month. That's seriously cheap. There is a ton of knowledge in here and now he's adding mastering to that. Mastering is like a members only club. It's really tough to get good information on it. I'm willing to pay the $10 to learn. I paid alot more than that for my degree in music.

The tutorials might have a cost to them but then you just need to decide if the cost of knowing is worth it. If it's not then move on. Yeah it would be nice if it was free but how would you like it if I came to you demanding help with something and told you that you needed to do it for free. Time always has a cost to it.

I agree with Karl on the community thing too. At this point you're not part of this community. You'd be surprised at how much help is given here especially to those that help in return. It's a great community. Give it a shot and you may be surprised.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17639

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Ah sorry I didn't see there were 2 of you so by "we" you meant the both of you. My bad.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17670

so basically,
buy a subscription.

thanks for the help...
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by cosmiclotusdream.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17672

• Bass_Gorilla
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Dude you want help learning to master and apparently he will be releasing tutorials for this, whats the problem?
Look at the amount of time and effort tom puts in, $10 is a very a reasonable amount. Just don't have KFC one night this month and its paid for lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl37

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17683

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
@Mr Fork:

Hey man if your still interested in that little mastering idea send me a message, we can exchange tracks and have a go at 'Home' mastering each others tracks, im sure we will both learn something from it. ;)

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17701

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Karl37 wrote:
@Mr Fork:

Hey man if your still interested in that little mastering idea send me a message, we can exchange tracks and have a go at 'Home' mastering each others tracks, im sure we will both learn something from it. ;)

I'll be messaging you soon. I even thought it would be really cool if we had a section of the forum like the "collaboration" section but have it so people can submit finished songs and people can practice mastering them and repost the work they did. Looking forward to it. :cheer:

@cosmiclotusdream - I'm NOT saying that Tom won't answer your question for free or come out with a set of free tutorials. He might very well do so....I'm not him so I don't know. But I AM SAYING if he DOESN'T come out with them for free, and I have given you the available option, then just figure out if it's worth the price to get the knowledge. It's $10. like bass_gorilla said it's the difference of skipping eating out once during the month. Anyway. Best of luck.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17770

• Feyra Bass
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 87
I have really gotten my money's worth for my $10. All those videos and a constructive ear for all my tunes I post. I feel like I'm part of a really cool club. And Tom sends me personal emails! Usually though it's to tell me not to keep sending him tunes and to post them on the dang site. But hey! B)

Mastering and mixing tutorials would be great. How to get your kick and snare at 0db without clipping and obvious sidechaining would be good too.

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17808

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Hey I don't know if you guys saw this but Music Tech did a tutorial on mastering with ableton plugins. Thought I'd pass on the link in case anyone is interested. It's a good place to start before The Cosm/Mr Bill tutorials come out.

www.musictech.net/2013/08/ableton-live-tutorial-mastering/
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Mr Fork. Reason: spelling error
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucky one, Karl37, seizar

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #17809

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
nice one, thank you Mr Fork!
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify

Mastering tutorial? 4 years 4 months ago #18118

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
There has been a recent trend on music sites about mastering tutorials especially in regards to using ableton for mastering. I'm not sure where Tom and Mr Bill are in their process but here's another one for you guys. From DJTechTools.

www.djtechtools.com/2013/09/15/schmaster...ering-with-mad-zach/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl37

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts