Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: how to make that harmonics sound?

how to make that harmonics sound? 4 years 2 months ago #18829

• ocdaddy
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Tom (and members)-

I'm hoping you would be able to do a tutorial about creating harmonics in a Trance song. This was done a lot in the mid nineties when Goa was more popular and I don't think its been totally played out. Can't seem to recreate that effect in Ableton and think it might be a short tutorial.

Its the sound that comes it at around 15 seconds on this Cosmosis track-

Thanks so much and hope you can help!

OC
The administrator has disabled public write access.

how to make that harmonics sound? 4 years 2 months ago #18830

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Hey man. This didn't sound like trance to me but the definitions of genres change so much that who knows. Anyway I'd have to experiment a bit but that sounds like it was created with fm synthesis. has a slight metallic edge to it. I guess maybe I'd start with a saw wave being modulated slightly by a sine or a square wave with the filter set to band pass. Feed that that into a ping pong delay. You could also try changing the routing so that you could have two saw waves going before the fm modulation but pitch one an octave higher.

That's just a guess. Like I said I'd have to play around with it a bit. Tom probably has a better idea but I figured I'd give it a shot.

how to make that harmonics sound? 4 years 2 months ago #18847

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Hell yeah this was good trance from days gone by, has that Astral Projection sound too it.
Obviously you need to find the right sounds i'm sure you can churn most of these out with Sylenth1
Whats fills these synth's out though is the modulation and automated effects and panning going on, all the small things make a track stand out and of course good solid midi patterns and Arpeggiation going on.

Have you gone through Abletons library of synths and presets? there are a lot of old school sounding synths in there that come with some nice effects to modulate. Also a formant filter might help too to get that metallic sound to your synth.
Try going for that old acid synth, if you have sylenth1 here is a good tutorial on making one:
Sylenth1 Acid synth
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts