Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: MUSIC THEORY!

MUSIC THEORY! 3 years 1 month ago #21078

• AbletoNoob
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 2
I think a "crash course" in music theory would be great coming from Tom. He seems very knowledgeable, and seems to come up with ideas pretty effortlessly!

Maybe work it into the websites up n coming events?? like "Theory Thursdays" or something??

What do you all think?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MUSIC THEORY! 3 years 1 month ago #21079

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
It's a tricky one for me but I'll seriously seriously consider it. Most of my musical theory was drilled into my brain when I studied Jazz at university... and to be honest I just sort of do things by default.

If I can come up with a magical way to teach theory to computer minded musicians, you guys will be the first to know!

MUSIC THEORY! 3 years 1 month ago #21081

• AbletoNoob
wow thanks for the quick reply!! i guess it doesn't have to be magical.. maybe just some kind words of advise to get us on the right path? i feel i've drilled my brain with synthesis and mixing theory and feel kind of at lost when i write now as opposed to when i began.. because i guess my taste has somewhat matured and i notice harmonic imperfections now more then before. Gettin things to sound "ok" together isn't too hard but i find it usually lacks depth/emotion. I have spoken to other guys in other forums such as reddits r/edmproduction and notice for a lot of us younger guys it's common problem these days!

MUSIC THEORY! 3 years 1 month ago #21090

• benjaminsravikumar
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 15
the ravenspiral guide is a good free resource to get a basic grounding in the theoretical aspect of music you should check it out.... i actually did a quick google search and got a link.... best free resource i have come across..
www.worldofbryan.com/rsg2mt.pdf

MUSIC THEORY! 3 years 1 month ago #21097

• AbletoNoob
Thanks for the link man :) a good resource is also the dave conservatoire videos! i found them super helpful.

MUSIC THEORY! 3 years 1 month ago #21400

• gstadig
I agree Tom's tips and approach on "what works" for building tunes would be great!
I don't necessarily want a ton of theory, but bench marks for what tends to fit well together and structure would be helpful for the noob like me.
Sharing methods or strategies that he uses or might recommend to a new Abelton user to try when creating and building those early tracks...
Would be really helpful

MUSIC THEORY! 3 years 3 weeks ago #21658

• seizar
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 19
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl37

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts