Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Rhythm and Grooves (Blues, Reggae, Jazz)

Rhythm and Grooves (Blues, Reggae, Jazz) 2 years 9 months ago #21401

• gstadig
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
I would like to see a short tutorial on building a Reggae drum / rhythm groove as well as some straight up blues and jazz grooves from scratch
These seem to fall outside the typical box and my attempts have fallen way short. They always come out mechanical and sounding horrible.
Working with different time signatures and grooves is really appealing to me but seems really confusing. I am sure like most things I am over complicating it.
Please consider touching on the subject, also like to hear anyone suggestions...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rhythm and Grooves (Blues, Reggae, Jazz) 2 years 9 months ago #21402

• brenno9
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 56
Hello sir.

So most jazz (that we hear) blues and almost all reggae is still in 4/4 time signature. So thats a good starting point. a deep acoustic snare is definitely a driving source for reggae. a good bpm range to start would be 70-100. this is also a useful bpm for dub. There is definitely reggae played faster but these bpms are good because you can frelly feel the swing. Get some skanky chords on the upbeat so for instance on the and of every beat at 70bpm or the 2 and the 4 at 140 bpm. the snare meanwhile hits on the 2 and 4 at 70bpm or the 3 at 140 bpm. generally the hi hat is doing a variation of an 8th note pattern. reggae has a lot of swing so mess with velocities and I suggest busting out the groove pool as well. There are usually a lot of echo and reverb type sounds doing hits on beats you want to accent. The bass is generally pretty organic and resembles a sub bass with some mids left in it. walking bass and playing the fifth of your root note are pretty common in reggae. Jazz is more difficult and gonna be hard to explain shortly. First the bpm is anywhere. Lots of syncopation and lots drum tones. one hi hat can be played twenty different ways in one four bar loop. for this i recommend finding some free jazz drum samples looking at them in ableton to study them further. Chord wise you get a lot of different voicings to the point that it becomes difficult to tell what the root note of your chord actually is. I would start simple and and start messing with sevenths. So if your chord is B minor (b-d-f#) then the b minor 7 would be (b-d-f#-a). Jazz also uses a lot of chromatics and will use chord progressions that sound good but most popular music wont use. So if your scale is e minor dont be surprised if you hear a g # or an e flat. It's all about the voicings in jazz. Be very careful with your velocities on chords in jazz your weird notes are not too loud with the rest. Blues I have not studied much. I know it relies usually on a 1 4 5 chord structure so if your key is e then a typical blues pattern is gonna be e, a, e, b, a. Blues relies on shuffle a bunch so bust out that groove pool again. blues is like jazz in the way that you melodies and leads will often be set up in phrases more then just a strait through melody. I hope this helps. Have a good one!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts