Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Operator Tom Design HELP!

Operator Tom Design HELP! 1 year 11 months ago #23404

• Canavan
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Perhaps i have overlooked so far. I am finding it difficult to find a tutorial for a Tom/ Bongo patch for Operator. I have tinkered a little bit with operator and got near to a tom/ bongo (percussive hit). They are ok but feel i am missing something.

I would really like to use operator for this and im sure its up to the task but i really like to get it sounding more realistic like say FM7 Native Percussion patch.

All help to tutorials out there or one here appreciated.

Regards,

Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Operator Tom Design HELP! 1 year 11 months ago #23420

• Canavan
Anyone? I have tried also using Collision lately for the same purpose. Some interesting results but not quite there either.

Cheers,

Mark

Operator Tom Design HELP! 1 year 11 months ago #23422

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Then the best way to go about figuring it out may be to reverse engineer the FM7 patch. figure out what's being used for the oscillator types and ratios and routing and go that route. I'm assuming you have an FM7 of course. The problem you're going to run into is that you have a sound in your head and it's probable that no one has made a video for exactly that sound. You're also restricting your search to ableton operator but if you understand FM synthesis and you can find how a patch is made you should be able to translate that over to operator. So for instance here's a video from warp academy for making a tom using fm synthesis and corpus. To find it I searched for "making toms with fm synthesis" in youtube.

In this case it used operator but they don't specify that in the text description or the title. I wouldn't have found it by specifying ableton operator. Now I personally think this tom sound is a bit too tight based on his clip but I'm betting that you could get that longer tuned sound if you worked some parameters. Also there is a paid series through mac pro video that goes through creating percussion for EDM with ableton native instruments by olav basoski. Downside being it's a paid deal. Still you could grab a one month sub and learn it then drop it. Anyway. I hope that helps. Any time you can't find something specific like that I recommend pulling it back to a more general idea (i.e. ableton operator is phase modulation synthesis or FM synthesis therefore if I can find an FM synth vid on making percussion I can do the same thing in operator). Best of luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Canavan

Operator Tom Design HELP! 1 year 11 months ago #23423

• Canavan
Thank you very much for your input. Agreed and have taken on board.

I did dabble a bit with reverse engineering of the patch and will dabble again over the weekend.I will watch video you have posted (thanks for that) once i type here. I have just started to breakaway from presets of FM7 but its not to stable on my PUSH even when put into a rack! anyways that why i end up becoming more into operator and try to patch my own with sounds with some success on pads and some percussive elements and Kick drum with operator. I think i even got better open hat sound by using my head and fiddling more with operator. Really came up trumps on kick as well..I then rack them so i can tweak easily via push on live play.

I like using my ableton push and would like to have everything done natively in ableton so i can tweak as i go along ie tighten, soften or even completely change the patch on the "move" or perhaps "on the fly". It has worked really well for me so far with the patches i have made. Just those tom and bongo sounds been niggling at me and again..

Thankyou for your time and reply with such valid suggestions.

Regards,

Mark

Operator Tom Design HELP! 1 year 11 months ago #23426

• Canavan
I return Mr Fork to add that I have for most percent drums found collision "easier" to obtain "that sound".

On a reverse engineering point from fm7 I have had almost identical 808 tom sound on operator. For the more complex (hand drum) patches then fm7 uses more than the 4 or 5 ops that are available in operator.

Was just to let you know your comments where great and didn't fall on deaf ears. Valuable info for me.

Thanks Again :)

Operator Tom Design HELP! 1 year 11 months ago #23431

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
No problem at all. Glad you found something that worked.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts