Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: catch midi notes on Ableton Live

catch midi notes on Ableton Live 2 years 2 months ago #23459

• Mononegro
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hi folks :)

My first post on here. A little question about midi playback on Ableton.

When playing back a long midi note, on Cubase and Logic there is a setting called "Catch MIDI notes" or something similar that allows to play those long notes from the middle of their midi event, avoiding to have to play them back from the beginning. This is useful when we need to play a portion of the track which contains midi notes that start from far before the portion we need to hear so that the midi note will trigger and play even if played in the middle of its event.

I couldn't find a function or setting that allows that on Ableton.
Does anybody on here know a way to do it on Ableton?

Many thanks in advance :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

catch midi notes on Ableton Live 2 years 2 months ago #23461

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Hmmm I've run into this issue a few times, i don't think there is an option to 'Catch Midi' in ableton unless someone else here knows something i don't.

The only bit of help i can give you is to freeze the midi track, which helps when you want play a midi phrase from the middle of its clip....but its a bugger when you want to edit that midi clip on the fly while listening to it as you would have to keep unfreezing it.

There must be another way around it, hopefully someone here will have a better solution :)
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mononegro

catch midi notes on Ableton Live 2 years 2 months ago #23467

• Mononegro
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Thanks so much, that helps a lot!
It allows me to play the midi event from its middle so I don't need to play it from its beginning as I intended, and can even hear the changes of the automations on the fly.

At the moment I don't need to edit the midi event itself as I've decided already how I want it, so freezing it doesn't bug me at all in that sense.

Thank you :)

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts