Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Live setup with audio interface

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24226

• tribetronics
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hi,
I'd really like to know how to solve this problem: I need to setup my MacBook Pro to use it on stage with 4 separate outputs.
I have a 4 output audio interface (Tascam US-366) and this is my problem:
I assigned the main mono output (1) to my microphone and the other tracks (basically clips and sounds) to output 3-4.
Ok, this works very well, I can send the 4 separate audio outputs to my sound engineer , so he can be able to mix my vocals and
my electronic sounds on his desk.
The big problem is that I'm not able to listen to my line outputs 3-4 in my in-ear monitors. Only my vocals on line outputs 1-2.
I tried everything with cue but nothing has solved this issue.
Basically I need to send 4 separate outputs to the desk and listen to all my stuff on the headphones as well.
Is there anyone that can help me? Or is there any very good tutorial about it?
Thanks a lot! :)
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by tribetronics.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24229

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
normally the sound engineer should be able to provide a monitor feed from his desk...but you could try...

set up a return track
set the output of the return track to the main mono output rather than the master
for each of the tracks you want to hear use the track's send to route to the return track

You can also vary the send for each channel to control the volume of each track as you hear it, independently to the levels set by the engineer.

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24231

• tribetronics
Hi and thanks for your reply.
The reason of this setting I'm trying to do is that the sound engineer must mix the 4 separate tracks on his desk and I have a pair of Shure professional in-ear monitor on stage, so I will not use the club's monitor but just my headphones.
I have a few channels with electronic sounds on external out 3-4.
My vocals are on channel 1.
So my goal is to listen to all the sounds in the headphones and monitoring it.
At the same time I need separate output channels for the sound engineer.
Unfortunately the channels 3-4 signal goes in channel 1-2 as well. I don't know why.
I'm trying to do what u suggested but with no results.
Hope u can help me... thanks!

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24239

• Bl4cksun
Hi,
made a video that shows what i was talking about, although there are probably loads of other ways of doing this

not sure its what you want as 1 channel feeds your ear phones and 3 channels go to the engineers mixing desk. Unfortunately in the video you can hear the output thats sent to the engineers mixing desk due to the settings in my mixer, but hopefully it will help understand what i was on about. One thing you might need to do is go into live's sound setup preferences and unselect the stereo pairs so you only have 4 mono channels. Basically with the setup Ive shown, nothing gets sent to the 'master' or 'cue' tracks.

If you really need to have 4 channels going to the engineers desk and your interface only has 4 mono outputs (2 stereo) you are out of luck unless you are on a mac (unless someone knows about suitable software (e.g. jack?)).
On a mac you can create an aggregate audio device which is a logical device made up of multiple physical devices. With this you can create a 6 channel output device where 4 outputs send out of your external interface and 2 outputs send out the laptops built in ear phone socket. Once you've created this device, go into ableton live and set the output device to be the aggregate virtual device, you will then see in live there are 6 mono/3 stereo outputs. Then just follow whats in the video above but you will have to alter the interface port numbers as they will now go from 1 to 6.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Bl4cksun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tribetronics

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24240

• tribetronics
In reality I just need to send only 3 output channels to the desk, 1 mono output for my vox and 1 stereo outputs for the electronics. I will follow all your instructions and I will let you now. Thanks!

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24241

• Bl4cksun
in the vid i set everything up as mono channels so you get 3 different outs, for what you want just set 3/4 as a stereo pair for the clips and 2 as the mic output, 1 as the ear phone output.

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24243

• tribetronics
Hi, your video was very useful. Thanks a lot.
I made all the settings, now I'm able to listen to my vox in the headphones.
But I can hear my electronic sounds only in mono, in my left headphone, using the return sends.
So, with my audio interface is not possible to have a stereo monitor of the channel 3/4?
Do I need a 6 outputs audio interface or I can solve with Jack?
Or maybe I made some mistake?
Thanks again for your precious help! :)

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24245

• Bl4cksun
yeah to listen in stereo will need 2 outputs (left/right) for the ear phones so that only leaves you with 2 for the mixing engineer

I found the following about aggregating multiple interfaces under windows, maybe it will work for you:
www.noterepeat.com/articles/how-to/101-a...-multiple-interfaces

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24246

• tribetronics
Thanks again.
I read all the instruction for the Mac.
Now I have 6 outputs.
I'm trying to use the internal Mac audio card and it works with Tascam interface.
Now I need only to understand the setup of all this outputs...
This is what I'm trying to do:
Out 1-2 / Mac Audio Card (used for electronic sounds)
Out 3-4 / Tascam Audio Interface (used for Microphone and for return track) - it looks like output 5-6 in Ableton
Out 5-6 / Tascam Audio Interface (unused for the moment) - it looks like output 7-8 in Ableton
The only problem is that I don't understand what kind of changes I must do to the return track, because at the moment
I have this problem: on outputs 3/4 I have the vocals and the return of the sounds mixed together both in the headphones and in the desk...
I don't know how to use outputs 5-6... I made all the best and tried everything but there's always something that don't works for me...
Thanks again for your patience and assistance!

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24247

• Bl4cksun
ok you need to pick a stereo pair for your headphones, lets use out 1-2, the internal audio card. So plug your headphones into the mac
Out 3 (the one that looks like 5 in ableton) this will send the mic to the engineers desk, so set the mic out to abletons 5 (im assuming the mic is mono but you could try 3/4 - abletons 5/6) but this pair go to the engineers desk

Out 5-6 (7-8 in ableton) send the electronic sounds to this pair, these then go to the engineers desk.

Now on the return track you added, set the output to 1-2 (ie the internal sound card in the mac)

Then when you add send from out 3 and the out 5/6 to the return track you should hear the mic and electronic sounds in the ear phones.
This way you get the best audio outputs (from the Tascam) going to the engineers desk saving the internal card for your ears only. The only issue I can see is the latency might be higher on the internal card...

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24248

• tribetronics
It's working!
I'm testing right now the latency, I will make a few test and I'll write you my impressions.
Thanks!!! :) :) :)

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24249

• tribetronics
Ok, the test was fine, I think I will not have specific latency problems, the monitoring looks fine (buffer size is 128).
One last question: I have problems with my 2 FX returns now (return A / reverb + return B / delay)...
If they are on ableton out 1-2 there's no fx on the desk but only in the headphones
If they are on ableton out 7-8 there's no fx on the headphones but only in the desk
Usually I use these fx to send it to my VST and play in real time.
Thanks anyway to gave me the key to solve this problem!!! :)

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 7 months ago #24251

• Bl4cksun
hiya
to sort out the fx, you need to enable the sends on the fx track, you can then send the fx track to the monitoring return track. Think i showed it towards the end of the video. The output of the fx return should go to the engineers desk, then use the send on the FX return track to send to the monitoring return so you can hear it in the phones.

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 6 months ago #24323

• tribetronics
Hi,
after a few test I discovered that unfortunately the internal MacBook audio card not works properly for a live-set.
So I decided that I will sell my audio interface to buy one of these:
us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6
us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8
I would like to know what do you think about these models and if they are the right choice to solve my monitoring problem.
Thanks!
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by tribetronics.

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 6 months ago #24329

• Bl4cksun
I don't think the 18/8 will be suitable, it only has 2 (1 stereo) line outputs, which means you couldn't pass your sounds and mic separately to the engineers desk.
The 6/6 I'm not sure about, it does have 4 (2 stereo) outputs which I think you need, and 2 monitor outputs for the phones, however it seems to indicate the phones mirror the two stereo pairs. The software mix control is pretty good so that maybe able to send all 4 outputs to 1 set of phones but not sure.
Do you have a FireWire or thunderbolt interface? I use one of their pro models and it does what you need. You can even have it configured so the mic is routed to the phones with zero latency mixed with the other outputs. With this there is no need for jack or messing with return tracks , everything is done in mix control. It's possible the 6/6 can do it but depends on if the phones routing is hard wired. Check the manual which you can download

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 6 months ago #24330

• tribetronics
I suppose this could be the best choice to solve my problem:
us.focusrite.com/firewire-audio-interfaces/saffire-pro-24
Maybe you have this model.
I have a firewire port on my laptop.
Thanks again.

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 6 months ago #24333

• Bl4cksun
That one is a newer model of the one I have. Mine has two headphone outputs and vim built in ( helps mixing with ear phones), but other than that they look the same.
The mix control software is pretty flexible and you will be able to get it to do what you need. It can also do zero latency monitoring of your phones which is a plus.
Haven't had an issue with mine and run it bus powered with mic, 2 stereo inputs from my spectralis synth. Monitor with phones and one of the stereo line outs to active speakers. If I ever get to play live the other outputs will come in handy for me too. I did used to use two stereo outputs to a mixer for djing which worked well.

Live setup with audio interface 1 year 6 months ago #24334

• tribetronics
Ok,
so I think I will order this audio interface tonight.
I will keep you informed.
Thanks a lot for all the assistance and for the precious suggestions!

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts