Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bitwig Vs Ableton

Bitwig Vs Ableton 4 years 3 weeks ago #17834

• Martin
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi guys,

What do you think about the last Bitwig Studio video ?

Ableton may have some worries to have...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 4 years 3 weeks ago #17835

• kim.loco
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 32
Really looking forward to Bitwig ..But it seems to be a long time before its released.. :(

Bitwig Vs Ableton 4 years 3 weeks ago #17837

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
Looks like a really nice toy, combining great ideas from Live, Massive and Fruity Loops I reckon.
It's not out yet though. And I will be careful about the stability and reliability when it when it will be released.

Live 9 for example is still not stable and reliable enough. When you think that it has been released 6 month ago and was build on a stable and mature product, that is really frightening. :dry:

Maybe in 2 or 3 years it will start to be a serious competitor for Live in my opinion.
Of course, I maybe a little pessimistic ;)

Cheers,

Luc
soundcloud.com/lucky-one
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify

Bitwig Vs Ableton 4 years 3 weeks ago #17844

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Anytime a new product enters the market there's a chance it's going to pull from the rest of the products out there. I have found in the past that a good majority though end up going back to what they're used. Competition is good though honestly. If bitwig comes out and offers things that ableton doesn't or hasn't then it will drive the market forward and, if people really like what they're doing, it'll force the other DAWs to innovate with similar ideas or try to one up each other. All in all I don't know if I'll end up with bitwig but I'm glad it's coming out.

I think a good amount of what they're doing looks like ableton to me. In fact there are certain things that look so close to ableton that I'm surprised they can get away with it. Considering the creators it makes sense why it looks so similar. The item I'm most interested in is the vst crash protection and the javascript api framework for programming your own midi device templates. But I don't think that will be enough to drag me from ableton. Guess we'll have to see. I thought it was hilarious that ableton released that "disco skin" in 9.04 that looked like the same colors they were using in bitwig lol. Let the war begin.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 7 months ago #20223

• psykopear
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 8
is finally going to be out on march 26th. For me, the Linux support would be enough to stop using ableton (if it's good enough under every aspect, and it looks like). But we'll see in next months

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 7 months ago #20229

• kim.loco
anyone know how machine or push will work with bitwig?
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by kim.loco.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 7 months ago #20233

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Bitwig had a video out several months ago that show it working with Maschine. Maschine is actually just run as a VST inside of your DAW so technically it should run in any DAW with vst support. They also showed it working as a midi controller. Push will be similar in the midi sense. Both have the capability of just sending midi data so they should work as a midi controller they just won't necessarily have the same functionality. Ableton has prebuilt midi remote scripts and such that tell the push how to behave beyond just the standard midi functionality. So to sum up you should be able to program any midi controller to work with bitwig but it may not retain the same functionality as it would have with midi scripting. As a vst Maschine will retain full functionality.

I'm interested in bitwig as well based on their built in 32/64bit bridge with crash support and their clip editing features, which look amazing, but there's a bunch of stuff I'd have to say I'm worried about as well. The first of which is their development seems to be extremely slow. And their level of communication seems to be very little. At the NAMM 2014 show last week they mentioned that some of the features people were really looking forward to will not be available in version 1.0 such as access to the modular instrument and effect building functions, project collaboration, no mapping features. There were a couple other ones too. For me all of the above says "wait until they get their feet under them and see how they do". Lots of potential though for sure.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 7 months ago #20234

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Here's the link to that Maschine vid I mentioned with bitwig.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 7 months ago #20235

• kim.loco
nice.I read somwhere you can make your own javascript in bitwig for controllers ,so maybe someone god with javascript coding would make the push work just as in ableton in the future..who knows..
many cool features though:
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by kim.loco.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21076

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
Hey Guys, I'm bringing this back up as I am totally flat out and haven't had time to check Bitwig out. I'd like to hear what your impressions are, and the similarities and differences it has between Ableton Live

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21174

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
Interesting comparison between the two...
www.musicradar.com/news/tech/bitwig-stud...ad-daw-battle-597761
The following user(s) said Thank You: brenno9, Mr Fork

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21179

• reflexibel
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello....
Ilike that the Shortcuts are mostly the same as in Ableton
The speed of loading a song is awesome, same when u sort the tracks in the timeline.
the navigator slot with the histogram is extreme helpful to make really fast an humanised groove of clips
The overview of nestig fx chains are better then in ableton
u have a slot in the delay for wet fx, means u can put easy an fx chain to modulate the delay wet signal, also with reverbs ans other fx
the eq sounds awesome
polysynth sounds more powerful then the operator.
the analogue Drums sounds good too
The complete navigation in the program is smart and quick
u dont have to save ure racks, when u can open 2 or more songs in Bitwig and drag them around the projects
and so on and so on....
so for me is ableton now only a program to consolidate my old stuff and put it into BITWIG.....

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21190

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Bitwig has some amazing features. Their bounce to audio feature is superb and I love the hybrid tracks. Lots of cool stuff going on but there are still some bugs and things to work on. I like my push controller too although I hear someone is coding the push to work with bitwig. Have to see what happens there. I don't think it's enough at this point to get me to switch as I have so much other stuff to buy. If they keep advancing and making their product better though and ableton doesn't respond to some of the issues that it's customers have been asking for it may eventually spell trouble for them. The devices in live though are still superior by far. I'll be interested to demo it again as they progress their product. Especially when they allow you to use their modular system to build your own instruments and effects. Seems to be more intuitive than M4L. Maybe a little more restrictive but seems like it will be very easy to use. Thanks for sharing that comparison Bl4cksun. It lines up with what I was thinking. At this point it's a toss up with both having good features.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21195

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Check out this interesting test from Sadowickproductions when looking at latency when using plugins on both ableton and bigwig.
I found the results rather depressing being an ableton owner and i can't believe this has not been rectified.

Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Karl37.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bl4cksun

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21196

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Actually that explains why I've been having automation problems. I knew there had to be a reason my sweeps weren't hitting when they should. That's very interesting indeed. I didn't know that. Hmmmmmm bitwig just made a stronger case. I hope ableton gets their act together. I agree with you Karl....that's rather depressing

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21200

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Mr Fork wrote:
Actually that explains why I've been having automation problems. I knew there had to be a reason my sweeps weren't hitting when they should. That's very interesting indeed. I didn't know that. Hmmmmmm bitwig just made a stronger case. I hope ableton gets their act together. I agree with you Karl....that's rather depressing

Yeah im amazed at the difference, he did another test which i have also linked above using 2 filters and this is even worse, you can hear a slight pop on Bitwig but compared to ableton....well you can hear it for yourself, i am amazed by this and i can not believe this has not be fixed.
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21218

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
yeah I saw that. The good thing is that you can still compensate for it. It seems to be predictable as far as amount of latency so you can adjust for it. But yeah I agree that it should be fixed. The clicking in bitwig though is also not that great. Seems like I've run into it on a few occasions. I'm sure they'll work that out though. Not sure about ableton. Apparently this has been the case for a while. His comparison of the summing is good because there isn't really a difference there. If bitwig handled summing better I could see that being a pretty large reason for switching. I think the thing I like most about bitwig so far is the hybrid tracks and the audio bounce feature. Some of the other things are nice too but not something that I'd say "I can't live without this". I like the ability to change your screen to show session and arrangement view as well. I'd have to say that saves me a fair bit of time when arranging but it's still easily doable in ableton. Especially when I get my second monitor.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21229

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
Mr Fork wrote:
yeah I saw that. The good thing is that you can still compensate for it. It seems to be predictable as far as amount of latency so you can adjust for it. But yeah I agree that it should be fixed. The clicking in bitwig though is also not that great. Seems like I've run into it on a few occasions. I'm sure they'll work that out though. Not sure about ableton. Apparently this has been the case for a while.

How do you compensate for it? I'm really curious to know!
That issue is not new indeed, it's already there in 8 and it is sometimes giving me an headache :(

Luc
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock / soundcloud.com/lucky-one / www.facebook.com/luckyoneMusic
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21230

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
With the sweeps I was doing I had to move my automation lines so they were happening where I needed them to. No matter what the latency is going to happen on a quantifiable level. Was a pain to get right. I had to change it a couple times after "getting it right". So if I notice that happening what I'll do is duplicate the track to get the automation lines correct and then flatten to audio. That way I still have the original to go back to if needed. I didn't really know what was causing it before but now that I know what it is I suppose I could remove all non ableton effects from the one and flatten the track with just live devices with any automation and then bring back in my vsts via copy paste. But I always make a duplicate of the track and archive it just in case I need to go back to it. It only seems to happen in certain circumstances with certain vsts too and I'm not sure why that is....like you would think massive running on ultra high would be a problem but if I have it in an instrument rack and automate something it doesn't seem to have that issue. So yeah I'm not sure the exacts of what causes it but usually adjusting the automation lines and flattening to audio with the automation intact was the way to go in the past. And who knows....what was causing my latency issues could have been something completely different.

Anyway. Sorry. No magical solutions. Wish I had one. Well...I guess I do.....but I don't want to spend $300 on a new DAW lol. With this competition coming from bitwig, however, ableton may finally get on it. Because that's a mess.

Bitwig Vs Ableton 3 years 5 months ago #21334

• kim.loco
I really fell in love with bitwigs workflow..so i bought it,and do not regret it for a second.
I have only used it for a week so have not tryed all the featurer yet
i really like the global groove button .Also like the note layering feature.t
the polysynth is also nice for punchy basslines.
Having project tabs is also a cool feature and the inspector panel is also great..
i do not like the reverb though and there is not a grouping option yet wich is deeply missed
edit..
i have used bitwig all day on a boring but creative sunday and almost finished a tune..as i said the workflow is amazing.
but i had 4 crashes and it also freezez for almost a minute if i select the whole track..some minor but anyoing bugs.
but the updates coming fast,so i guess it will be fixed soon..
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by kim.loco.
  • Page:

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts