Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: DAW Ableton in 432 Hz

DAW Ableton in 432 Hz 3 years 5 months ago #20042

• reflexibel
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
Heya Tom,
we love ya!

we are sitting with some friends and are wondering wether and how we would set a track to play in tune of the base 432 hz frequency instead of the "manipulation index" of the modern and unquestioned 440 hz?

Would we really have to set the individual tracks (synthesizers) to 432 hz, meaning, tuning them down with fine pitch or setting the relevant setting in the options? Or is there an easy way to "convert" a 440hz track that is finished to 432 hz in mastering? Is this a method to achieve a base tuning of 432 hz? If not, how would we start a track in 432 hz tuning rather than 440 hz, so that we don't have to worry about this during the making of the track.

Because let's face it: We would love to make music that is in cosmic harmony to life, so we need a roadmap to making music with regular DAWs that allows 432 hz basic tuning in the most workflow friendly way possible.

I am sure this is topic that many are very interested in right now <3
Love from "Germany" to all of ya :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DAW Ableton in 432 Hz 2 years 4 months ago #23446

• maddtom
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 1
This is an old question....I hope you got it answered before NOW....
but here's my method. I calibrate with my guitar tuner, which is what I use to tune all my instruments.

1-Transpose down -24st
2-Fine up +968 (which then mathematically should give you A=432, but it doesn't quite)
3- Use chromatic tuner to dial in the tuning so its right on ( Fine +964)

repeat this process for each oscillator that generates audio waveforms.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by maddtom.

DAW Ableton in 432 Hz 2 years 3 months ago #23562

• RiverGoblin
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 8
This one comes around every once in a while. Several people have asked me how I do it. This is lifted from the thing I wrote when I the facebook discussion was going on. 440-8hz =432. 32cents = 8hz (or close enough) As already mentioned, I use a guitar tuner calibrated to 432. I use it to tune all my instruments, be them acoustic, analogue, or software.

-How to re-tune Ableton's native instruments- (No additional plug-ins required!)

This is the correct way to do it. Changing the master pitch post production will create incorrect intonation. Tuning must be done to each device, just like it would be done in a real orchestra.

Analogue: Global parameters are found by clicking the global shell, tuning parameter is in the keyboard options. Increments in cents, so -32c = -8hz. See Ableton Reference manual p335.

Operator: No global tuning option available. However, you can tune each oscilator independantly. heres how- On the oscilator shell increase the fine knob all the way up to plus 1000cents. This moves oscilator up by one octave, so use the transpose knob to level it back out. Then turn the fine knob down to 968cents (1000-32=968) See ableton reference manual p360. Check your tones against a tuner, tweek as needed.

Simpler: Very easy- look for the detune parameter on the front panel. increments in cents.

Sampler: Same as above.

Electric: Same as above.

Collision- never used it but at first glance I can see several tuning parameters available.

So there you have it. Read the manual, try these methods. Check your tones against a guitar tuner. Using your tuner as a reference you can easily adjust your ableton instruments to taste, just like you do with acoustic instruments. Job done- Enjoy!

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts