Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: New Computer, need help...

New Computer, need help... 3 years 4 months ago #21574

• caris
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 73
So I just got a new Mac, and I need to get my Live 9 environment re-setup on the new machine. I have a lot of VSTs, live packs, midi configs, etc. installed/setup on the old machine, and I'm not sure how to take a catalog of my current setup so that I can make sure I have the same things on the new system. To complicate matters I'm upgrading from 32bit to 64bit, so I don't think I can just mirror my live directories..... or can I? Are there VSTs I currently have installed which won't be compatible with the 64bit system? Any help would be appreciated, I unsure where the Libraries Live is calling upon are located.

Thanks,
Caris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Computer, need help... 3 years 4 months ago #21577

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Hey man

I recently purchased a mac too, though for me i went out and got an external hard drive to transfer all my audio library over, i bought the hard drive as i wanted my library installed to that anyway and not on the mac itself.
Luckily for me my PC setup is 64bit anyway so i had no problems with VST's.....but if you are using 32bit VST's then these wont show up on your 64bit version of live unless you use something like Jbridge which is free though i tried using this for a few 32bit plugins i have and i found it to be a bit of a nightmare to use if im honest.

I still think you will have to treat it as a new re-install as you will have to license everything again with ableton, i also just downloaded all my packs again and re-installed them just so i knew where they were as the one thing that still baffles me about the mac is its file system and finding where things install.

With all your self made audio effects and midi effects you can literally copy straight over and then paste them into the new directory on your mac, i just created a presets folder so i knew where everything was.

I'm sure someone here with much more experience with macs would be more helpful and could have prob made my life easier too in terms of the transfer but this was my experience with it. good luck man....its never fun restarting your setup again lol :)

Karl.
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions
The following user(s) said Thank You: caris

New Computer, need help... 3 years 4 months ago #21597

• caris
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 73
Thanks Karl, definitely looking for a way to make it easier/faster. A lot of my stuff on my current machine is in my Live 8 user library so with the new setup I should probably move those into the Live 9 location. I'm busy with end of the semester stuff and school, so I don't have enough time to setup the new machine, but I really want to get it up and running with Live since it is like 200x faster than my current machine. Hopefully I have/can download 64 bit versions of my important VSTs, I guess I should look into that first since if I can't then I'll probably need to downgrade to 32 bit, though lately I've been using mostly Live's built in instruments since upgrading to suite, I still need to have Kontact as I have a lot of great instruments I have purchased for that so I'd hate to loose them. I'm also going to offload most of my samples/loop library to an external, because the new machine is a solid state drive it only has half the space of my current machine, so I have to setup differently. Also my current machine is also a Mac, so I know I can boot it as a targeted disk and use it as a hard drive on the new machine to mirror things over easier via firewire, but in order to make use of that I need to know what I can just copy over and what I need to reinstall.

New Computer, need help... 3 years 4 months ago #21623

• Berni T
  • Saw Wave (Platinum Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 137
caris wrote:
Thanks Karl, definitely looking for a way to make it easier/faster. A lot of my stuff on my current machine is in my Live 8 user library so with the new setup I should probably move those into the Live 9 location. I'm busy with end of the semester stuff and school, so I don't have enough time to setup the new machine, but I really want to get it up and running with Live since it is like 200x faster than my current machine. Hopefully I have/can download 64 bit versions of my important VSTs, I guess I should look into that first since if I can't then I'll probably need to downgrade to 32 bit, though lately I've been using mostly Live's built in instruments since upgrading to suite, I still need to have Kontact as I have a lot of great instruments I have purchased for that so I'd hate to loose them. I'm also going to offload most of my samples/loop library to an external, because the new machine is a solid state drive it only has half the space of my current machine, so I have to setup differently. Also my current machine is also a Mac, so I know I can boot it as a targeted disk and use it as a hard drive on the new machine to mirror things over easier via firewire, but in order to make use of that I need to know what I can just copy over and what I need to reinstall.

If your old computer was a mac then you could just clone the original drive without all the libraries onto your new mac then just upgrade & re-license your programs with whatever serials you have. I know Ableton will let you run Live on several different machine's. I use a free app called Get Backup2 to clone & make back ups. There's really no need to go through the hassle of re-installing everything if you are not switching platforms. Hope this helps.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts