Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: ABLETON GLITCH

ABLETON GLITCH 3 years 4 months ago #21640

hey there geeky peeps,
i have this problem with ableton and can't figure it out.
even though i've double and triple checked that all tracks are warped properly and i obviously also test my liveset in the studio before performing, i still sometimes get tracks out of sync when i drop them in during my performance. i can see or hear it is out and try start it again, but with the same results :( my buffer is round 500.
any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ABLETON GLITCH 3 years 4 months ago #21643

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
quick question, are you saying the same tracks play ok in the studio but not out live?
Have you checked the start of the clips to make sure they all start on the beat?
Have you checked the triggering setting?
When they don't match up are they still at the right tempo just out by a beat or two rather than a complete train wreck?

ABLETON GLITCH 3 years 4 months ago #21644

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Yeah like Bl4cksun is saying there's too many variables that aren't defined here. Best thing I can do here is start narrowing things down. In almost all cases where something works differently there's something that's changed. For instance if one setup has a sound card with a low latency audio driver where the other is just using the internal card. Or you have different computers with different hardware/settings. Maybe you set the drive compensation on one but forgot to on the other. Lots of things like this that can potentially cause an issue.

Ultimately you need to look at the two setups and identify hardware differences and settings differences. Even identify the things you've already tried so you can retrace steps if needed. Once you have a list going you have a place to start. Hope that helps.

ABLETON GLITCH 3 years 4 months ago #21661

thanks for your response guys :)

to answer Bl4cksun :
first 3 questions is yes, 4th question is it's train wreck styley, unsynced

Mr Fork :
there are no variables, i only use 1 computer, 1 setup,1 soundcard

ABLETON GLITCH 3 years 4 months ago #21662

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
so the set is the same in the studio and live, but same computer soundcard etc, and the output is different.
ie what im asking..ableton is the same and the sets the same?

what about things like power... is the laptop powered in both situations? if on batteries maybe the computer throttles the hard disk or cpu..
what about the harddisk, is that external in both cases, or maybe an external (fast) harddisk in the studio and internal (slow) laptop on the road?

I know you say there is no difference, but there has to be. The set wouldn't play fine or not based on the geographic location of the laptop. You have played a complete set in the studio as a practice and that worked ok?

Sorry for what might seem like stupid questions but trying to guess/work out what your setup is and what you are doing.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Bl4cksun.

ABLETON GLITCH 3 years 4 months ago #21663

definitely not stupid questions, your perspective helps a lot !
yes, the set is the same in the studio and live. ableton is the same and is running from my internal harddrive in both cases. also in both cases the computer is powered.
i practise the set, to check if everything is working, though i don't actually do a full set, so it's actually possible it would do the same thing regardless of whether i'm in the studio or not.

ABLETON GLITCH 3 years 4 months ago #21670

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
flootinggrooves wrote:
Mr Fork :
there are no variables, i only use 1 computer, 1 setup,1 soundcard

There are always variables flootinggrooves. Always. You said you practice the tracks but you don't do the full set so it's possible it's doing the same thing......it's probably a good time to find out. You originally said that your set was behaving differently between live and studio but you actually don't know that for sure unless you're doing the same in both places. Which you weren't so that leaves open the possibility that the behavior between live and studio is actually the same.....which would bring you closer to an answer because then the problem is the same in both scenarios. Consistency is your friend when troubleshooting.

I recommend that you go through your set to see if it behaves the same. Any tweaking, triggering, looping etc that you're doing live you're going to want to do in the studio. Once you've determined if the behavior is the same or different that will tell you what your next step is although I'd say the next step is to figure out if there's a specific point to which the song goes out of sync or if it happens right away. Hope that helps.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Mr Fork. Reason: Grammar

ABLETON GLITCH 3 years 4 months ago #21711

indeed Mr Fork, you are completely right, i need to determine if it does the same in both places first, which will determine what the next step is. thanks a lot for your input, i will be back when i've figured this part out.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts