Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sausage Fattener

Sausage Fattener 3 years 2 months ago #22498

• JaMon
  • 2nd Harmonic (Senior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 4
Does the plugin do anything you can't with Saturator/similar effects?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sausage Fattener 3 years 2 months ago #22501

• SandvichDISH!
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 52
In short: Probably not. The right combination of other plugins could probably emulate the sound quite well. But it probably will be hard to emulate since it's a combination of distortion and compression and what else.

Personally though, I don't like sausage fattener. It's way too unwieldy and makes sounds hard to mix. It just kinda makes your sound blow up beyond your control.

Sausage Fattener 3 years 2 months ago #22502

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
It's hard to say really. I haven't really been able to identify exactly what it does. Saturation and compression seem like they're in there but in what way are they being added together and used. And is there anything ELSE that it's doing besides that. You may find that you can get close but not quite no matter what you do because you don't have all the parts of the equation. Another good question is how much is your time worth to you? You could spend hours trying to figure out what that plugin does. Weeks. Months. Or you could just pick it up for $30 because you know that it does what you want it to do. Might be more worth your time not to try and figure it out for that price. I don't use it much as I actually really like the supercharger GT plugin by NI (gives you way more control but still can make things sound really fat and saturated) but to control the sausage fattener I recommend just setting up a clean chain in a rack so you can control how much of it gets added to your mix. Since it's not a subtle effect (at least imo) that's how I do it. Makes it easier to control.

Sausage Fattener 3 years 2 months ago #22503

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
I use Sausage Fattener on my brass sections...its fantastic. :laugh:
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions

Sausage Fattener 3 years 2 months ago #22505

• JaMon
Thanks for the input. I"m going to take what y'all have to say as, "don't spend money on it. :

Sausage Fattener 3 years 2 months ago #22511

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
JaMon wrote:
Thanks for the input. I"m going to take what y'all have to say as, "don't spend money on it. :

Your question wasn't "should I buy this" it was "is this more than saturation and compression". And even if "should I buy this" was your question you must not have read these responses and just jumped to a conclusion.

Karl said he uses it on his brass and "it's fantastic". Not sure where you got "don't spend money on it" out of that.

For my part I tried to answer the question that you posted as to whether it does anything more than just saturation and compression to which I basically responded "I don't know". It's possible that it does but unless you were able to recreate it completely you may never know and I doubt they'll hand you their code. They may have a frequency boost in there somewhere. My point was that it may take you longer to figure out what it does than it's worth as it's only $30 so it may be more worth your time just to get it. Also I made the point that I can get it to sit in a mix just fine but you have to be smart about the way you're applying it just like any other tool. It's not for all situations. Again nowhere in there would you get "don't spend money on it". I recommend it as it does it's job well but as with all saturation and compression you CAN easily overdo it. Be smart about how you apply it. Don't slap it on everything and "turn it up to eleven" all the time.

Finally sandvich's comment he answered your question as well as to whether or not it does more than just saturation and compression. To that question he answered "probably not". He also said it will probably be hard to emulate which I agreed with in my post. He then stated that he doesn't like it as it makes sounds and mix too unwieldy. Nowhere in there did he say "don't buy it". He just said it doesn't work for him although this is the closes of the 3 that you could infer that particular assessment of these posts.

All in all you have 2 saying it's a good effect and one saying he didn't like it..............so even if you went off the numbers there the majority would say "it's a good effect" and the minority said "I don't like it". So again....I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Also considering your question wasn't "should I buy it" I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. But either way I'd say your conclusion is incorrect.

Sausage Fattener 3 years 2 months ago #22512

• JaMon
I think there is some technical difficulty, the only response when I posted was Sandvich's. I know I didn't say I was considering purchasing it, but that is why I made the inquiry. I"m from Louisiana, y'all can be one person down there =).

Sausage Fattener 3 years 2 months ago #22513

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
Ah gotcha. Yeah maybe your browser was holding onto cached information. Not sure. I'm from North Dakota myself. I guess ultimately, like I said, $30 isn't going to break the bank. There are a ton of artists who swear by that thing. I think it's a good plugin but I also believe it's VERY easy to misuse and/or overuse it. As with any tool, you have to make sure you're applying it in the right circumstances (if it doesn't sound right then don't use it). Other than that I think it does a great job fattening up sounds. If that's what you're looking for then this is definitely one way to go.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts