Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live

Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live 2 years 8 months ago #23356

• ak
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey forum,

I've been making Ableton Live tutorials for a little while, and I didn't realize Tom had assembled this awesome site for knowledge sharing. Anyway, I wanted to contribute my 2 cents, since I've been working hard on high quality tutorials that offer independent tips for music-making.

Rather than post all the individual videos; I'll just share a playlist which has 20 or so 'less obvious' workflow tips packed into each video; I've completed several such videos centered around different parts of live. Here's that playlist:

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT_JiP1Oo...Bz62o_Iqy1j_6wVa8Z21

Since not everyone uses Ableton, I also started doing the same style of tutorials with VSTi ... here's the first one I just released on Massive:

I have other stuff on my site, 'just producing' videos and music videos and such.

If you think its worth your time, do me the honor of a sub!

Best,

AK
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucky one, Bl4cksun

Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live 2 years 8 months ago #23363

• lucky one
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 195
Very cool, the tips video about Massive is really good. It gives me the urge to dive into that synth again :)

You have my sub,

Cheers,

Luc
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one - AtmosphericElectroRock - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify

Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live 2 years 8 months ago #23415

• ak
<3

Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live 2 years 8 months ago #23416

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
Hey AK,

Sorry I didn't get to respond to this till now. Life is keeping me busy here. I actually found your youtube page a few weeks ago and subscribed and then I saw you post here. Lots of great tips in there especially for session view. I love working in session view. I'm always looking for ways to improve my workflow going from session to arrange view. I noticed that you have a couple production videos for just producing a track but neither of them cross over from session to arrange view. That seems to be fairly normal for tutorials. It's usually one or the other. Would you be willing to take a special request? I'd like to see you do a track start to finish where you lay out the track in session, record over to arrange, and then finish out there. Interested to see how your workflow differs from mine. Anyway great job on the tracks so far and the videos. I was pleasantly surprised to see your post show up the other day. Had to double take...."Hey I subscribe to that guy's channel".

Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live 2 years 8 months ago #23417

• ak
Fork... that's an excellent request. I will do that video next (session => arrange).

Thanks for the kind words!

But MAN... is it hard to get your stuff out there. I re-iterate... the internet is a cold, dark place.

Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live 2 years 8 months ago #23418

• ak
BTW, just wanted to add that I did a video on the 'in between' step .. before you go from session to arrange:

be warned, its like almost an hour, unedited, the voice is not well-balanced... I also tend to ramble a bit... and live crashes on me at like 35:00 or something.

I am trying to figure out if this video is worth posting; its not as high-quality as my other vids, (or as well prepared) but goes through a pretty comprehensive resampling process, showing a lot of plugs, and shows an interesting workflow I'm starting to really love.

What do you think? Any criticism is welcomed.

Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live 2 years 8 months ago #23419

• Karl37
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 542
Nice work man, i subbed on the back of the unedited video.

I personally prefer watching unedited tutorials like this because i like to see how your deal with small problems you run into while trying to teach us something, as we would most likely run into those issues ourselves, these little problems would often look like mistakes and often get edited out of the final video but really these little issues are often what i have problems with personally.

I watched your other videos and will defo watch more, though its not my genre of music you still learn a lot of tips and tricks which is why i rate Toms tutorials so highly.

Nice work. :)
Check out my Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/k37productions
Follow Me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/K37productions

Various Workflow Tips and Tricks for Ableton Live 2 years 8 months ago #23421

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
ak wrote:
But MAN... is it hard to get your stuff out there. I re-iterate... the internet is a cold, dark place.

I hear you. It's not really that it's cold and dark just oversaturated. Everyone who writes wants people to listen to their music (probably an over generalization but I'd say more often than not that's the case). I've been trying to figure this out too. Getting your music heard takes alot of socialization, time, and marketing. Or something really crazy like that Nigel Stanford video on cytomics. Listening to other people's tracks and leaving constructive comments is a good way to get noticed. Have you listened to any of the tracks from the "post your music" section here? Might be a good way to get some additional listens. Not even just on these forums but on any forums. Or even on youtube commenting on other artists tracks or ableton videos might get you some extra clicks. I really have no idea what you've tried but there's a couple suggestions. Also advertising in your vids for your music like you've been doing is a great way to get some clicks and listens as your vids gain popularity (assuming they do....I think you have some good advice in there and have mentioned you to other musicians I know as a place to go for ableton tips).

Thanks for pointing me to that vid. I wouldn't have guessed that's what you were doing based on the name. I'm checking it out. Long videos don't bother me. I've spent countless hours watching sound design and production videos not to mention sat through plenty of warp academy's webinars.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts