Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: More than one user controlling Ableton

More than one user controlling Ableton 1 year 6 months ago #24524

• Cian
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 2
Is it possible to have 2 users controlling one instance of Ableton?

For instance, I would like there to be a way for 2 seperate sets of keyboard and mouse effecting 2 seperate parameters at once. One user might be loading up an instrument, whilst the other be dragging an audio effect on to that instrument.

Is this even remotely possible? I can see the potentially huge scope for bugs with this approach, but would even a bug-ridden version of this be achievable?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

More than one user controlling Ableton 1 year 6 months ago #24525

• Bl4cksun
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 142
not sure windows or osx support 2 mouse pointers on the screen or 2 text entry points at the same time. You could use some remote control software (even stuff on an ipad) to allow the second person access, but you would be fighting for control of the same mouse pointer and keyboard text entry.
You can obviously have two people playing midi controllers with a single instance of live on a computer.
One option you could do is two computers networked, one for each user, two copies of live and then use virtual audio and midi cables between them. Make sure one is set at the master and the other as the slave (ie the slave gets its midi clock/rewire transport from the master). If you look around there are some great devices that allow this (as well as software solutions), even allowing you to plug upto two ios devices in as well to use as audio synths or midi controllers (i.e 2 computers and 2 ipads all linked together with midi and audio flowing between them).
But all this will cost you double just doing it on your own...
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Bl4cksun.

More than one user controlling Ableton 1 year 6 months ago #24526

• Cian
Cool as! That'd be perfect, didnt realise you could link up 2 instances of live. This is really exciting!
What are these types of programs called? IE: what do i put into google?
(/\ im sure i can get all the info i need if you answer this question /\)

More than one user controlling Ableton 1 year 6 months ago #24530

• Bl4cksun
these people do various hardware devices www.iconnectivity.com, these do audio and midi
Mac's have the ability to do midi over the network built in, just check out your audio and midi setup
There is loopbe for windows that allows midi over the network
rtpmidi is a windows software that does midi over the network and is compatible with the mac's built in stuff
There is also a great bit of software which uses max for live that does both audio and midi for $8 fabriziopoce.com/AuNetTools.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cian

More than one user controlling Ableton 1 year 6 months ago #24532

• Cian
Man that software is AWESOME!! So cool! I'm definitely spending the 8$ on it, even if it turns out to be really buggy. I wanna see where they can bring this with a bit more time/cash.
Have you used the software before? How is it on CPU? This perfectly solves the question i presented- one guy creates an instruments, while sending the audio to computer 2. That user edits and mixes it. So efficient! How does it weigh up against the hardware options? They look a bit pricey, cus i'd probably want to be sending both midi and audio, thus costin me 700 beans :/
Thank you so much!

More than one user controlling Ableton 1 year 6 months ago #24533

• Bl4cksun
I tried the iconnect4 to link 2 pcs and an iPad, midi and audio between them which worked well. Haven't tried the maxforlive solution but his other max products are awesome so I think this one will be too

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts