Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group or join the Discord for realtime chat. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group or Discord! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Challenge 2 - Reversed Sample Work

Challenge 2 - Reversed Sample Work 2 years 7 months ago #24021

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
Today we had the second weekly producer challenge, a short online event where a DAW related challenge is set to anyone who wants to participate.
The challenges are usually pretty strange and require you to think differently about the tools you usually use, in hope they spark new ideas for you to use in your normal production.

This weeks challenge is to take an audio loop, reverse it, find any interesting sounds and mangle them into something to compliment the original loop.
As an example, I found some sub frequencies from a kick tail and made a new bassline. I also mad a melodic percussion loop out of something else, and took a quick vocal stab, streatched it out and made it into a "Goat Yawning".

This week we had a lot more people, and it was super fun..

The new challenges are live streamed every Saturday at 1pm AEST, you can check out the recording of today's live stream here.

You can also download the sample file I used in my video, in case you want to just jump in and start having fun.

www.dropbox.com/s/objuahgtdr1pepx/Weekly...0-%20Sample.wav?dl=0

We had about 25 watching (mostly lurking) but I hope to see these numbers rise as the word gets out.

We have a Facecrack group where I'll post updates and people are encouraged to showcase what they came up with.

www.facebook.com/pages/Weekly-Producer-C...456104411542?fref=ts

If you don't do Facecrack you can watch the live streams directly on Twitch.

www.twitch.tv/tomcosm

We used to do this as a small group a few years back and it genuinely helped me learn a lot about creating music with computers. We did things like:

Writing a loop without listening to it once
Making a track with nothing but a kick drum
Creating a sample pack of drums using nothing but FM synthesis
Writing your name in the MIDI editor then trying to make it sound good
Creating as much of a tune as you can in only 10 minutes

Things like that... so, if this sounds like your cup of tea, and you have some time, come and get involved.

Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Challenge 2 - Reversed Sample Work 2 years 7 months ago #24023

• Arctiberus
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Here's my rendition. I feel it came out alright, didn't differ too much from the original loop however. I didn't want to make it too glitchy as I feel that's a bit cliché, so I utilized the texture warp mode of the first 1/4 bar to create some bassline sounds. Reversed piano chord hit + ping pong, granular synthesis, and I believe a few extra fills of lightly resampled non-drums.

www.mediafire.com/download/j27475ecd8fxx...llenge_2_Project.zip
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: wobwobwob

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts