Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: How do you make this sound?

How do you make this sound? 3 years 10 months ago #18955

• Sid Viscous
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm talking about the sound that comes in briefly in this song at 0:33
right after that koto or whatever string instrument that is.

Something similar is also used in one of illgates songs

I'm totally in love with this sound but I just havent been able to produce anything like it in Massive. :dry:

Cheers,
Sid
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How do you make this sound? 3 years 10 months ago #18961

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
If you're talking about the synth sound that sounds like it opens up and then drops off real fast and sometimes has an echo that's not too bad to make. Cool sounding. I'm not sure if it's the sound you're talking about or not but the key is mainly the effect so I'll focus on the effect rather than the tone of the synth. This is a filter envelope trick. Pick a synth sound you want to use with this effect. One with a solid amplitude sustain. Route all the oscillators to one filter which will be a low pass filter and bring it down a ways (probably all the way). Create a filter envelope that has a longer attack and drop everything else down as far as it goes. So no sustain, no decay, no release. Apply the envelope to the filter. Start at about 70% but you can mess around to fine tune it. The amount of the filter envelope you're applying controls how open your sound will get from it's starting point and the attack will control how long it will take to get there. So if you want a quick buildup then use a shorter attack on the filter envelope. Once the sound reaches the end of the attack cycle it will drop back to it's original value sharply as the other settings should be 0. Then just add to it whatever effects you want. For the delay effect the guy in the first one uses you need to use automation. That I can tell the delay isn't always triggered so you'd want to probably have multiple tracks running. Put the delay on one of the tracks and set your delay settings. Automate the delay to "On" when the sound is going to hit the peak of it's attack cycle so that it's only delaying the last part.

Anyway check it out and see if that works. If you have any questions let me know. Those concepts should apply to any synth including massive. I've been using massive alot recently and it's very powerful once you get used to it's routing system.

How do you make this sound? 3 years 10 months ago #19009

• MOutcast
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 50
i am also not 100% sure what you mean. but at around 0.32 there is a short and subtle reverse of (most probably the string sound) with a delay on it.
take a synth with a sound like this (lets call it string) let it play one or several notes, put a reverb on it. put a delay on it (delay: synch, automate from fast to slow.) freeze it, then turn it to audio. reverse the audio snippet. play with stretch and transpose down or up untill you like it. put another delay or/and reverb on it. :-)

it could be the reverse effect that you mean since ill gates has that big time layered into his synth there.

hope thats what you mean?

How do you make this sound? 3 years 10 months ago #19010

• Sid Viscous
You both definetly know which sound I meant. Simply reversing string instruments does the trick. :silly:

I kept thinking it just needed some kind of exponential attack and neither operator nor massive do that and the performer curve is too steep :dry: I heard FM8 has better attack envelopes, anyone have any experience with it?

@Mr Fork
The filter trick you suggested gives the sound kind of a formant quality even without any resonance, which is great for basses and glitches and stuff but it doesnt quite work with string sounds.

Thanks for the quick replies.

How do you make this sound? 3 years 10 months ago #19016

• MOutcast
  • 4th Harmonic (Gold Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 50
did you try abletons "tension" plug in? i dont know it so well, but it seems to be made to simulate strings behaviour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid Viscous

How do you make this sound? 3 years 10 months ago #19017

• Sid Viscous
Wicked!

No I didnt know about Tension, ha Ableton really has got it all :side:
Thanks mate.

How do you make this sound? 3 years 10 months ago #19024

• Mr Fork
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 501
I must have been listening to the wrong sound man. Sorry. Glad MOutcast was able to help you. I tried my suggested solution for the sound I heard but I didn't get a formant. I probably didn't explain it right. Glad you got it worked out though.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts