Forum Information

Dear users, I have decided to phase out the posting on the forums on this website and move any discussions over to this private facebook group. While the forums were great 10 years ago, they are now difficult to maintain due to constant spam. I spend most of my time just cleaning them up, rather than interacting. This, combined with finding it difficult to directly communicate with other users through several different social media platforms, I have decided to consolodate it all to one group where people can chat with me, ask questions and jibber jabber with other users on a regular basis. I will not make the forums offline as there is a wealth of content, but posting has now been disabled. Thanks to all those who have contributed over the years, and I'll see you over on the Facebook group! -Tom

Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Kiasmos synth sounds

Kiasmos synth sounds 1 year 2 months ago #25052

• forgetso
  • 1st Harmonic (Junior Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey,

So I'm trying to replicate this Kiasmos synth sound vocaroo.com/i/s1RqELe6Tb1d

And so far I'm at the following (vocaroo.com/i/s1cQFi7jRkh3) which is pretty close, I think!

I know I'm getting phasing issues when certain notes play together and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how this could be solved? Should I be experimenting with alternating delays based on the notes that are playing?

There's also more of a WOW sound to the original. Any ideas how I could achieve this? Perhaps a longer attack on certain notes?

So far my setup looks like this: imgur.com/sg1NYGb. Lots of different synths layered at different volumes and some return tracks.

I haven't compressed this yet, btw.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by forgetso.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kiasmos synth sounds 1 year 2 months ago #25055

• Tom Cosm
  • Administrator
  • Official
  • Thank you received: 282
I had a little play, and I found myself getting too involved.. I think it's a really simple sound.. probably played live with a live instrument or a weighted keyboard at least. I found the more eqing etc I did the further away it sounded!

Closest I got was to have 3 separate synths for the 3 separate notes in the chords. Each one a triangle wave, low cutoff and a short filter envelope to give each note a tiny bit of punch from the triangle upper harmonics. Then, I attached the velocity of the notes to the filter cuttoff too.. so each note had a slightly different (very subtle) .

I can also hear a tiny bit of noise in there.. sounds like circuit noise so imagine this was played on some sort of hardware. It's very subtle, but adds to the character of the sound.

Best of luck!

Kiasmos synth sounds 1 year 2 months ago #25056

• forgetso
Between this and your reply to the Stephan Bodzin post it seems hardware is the way these guys get their sound!

I heard that circuit noise as well. It is infuriating trying to recreate it with white noise/harmonics. I am now also way too involved in reproducing this sound. I think I've been at it for 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm going to give this a shot next.

Kiasmos synth sounds 1 year 2 months ago #25061

• Fatass Bully
  • 3rd Harmonic (Expert Boarder)
  • Thank you received: 19
If the original sound was made with the synth, then it is probably pretty simple. I guess you could try to make it as simple as possible, maybe with the Analog instead of Operator, since it is trying to replicate the analog synth (hence the name). Overall I feel like you are very close and not necessarily worse than the original sound.

Kiasmos synth sounds 1 year 2 months ago #25062

• forgetso
Hey, I'd tried using Analogs originally and there are still two analog triangles in there at the low end, one centred and bassy and one with higher frequencies panned left. I'm going to try again with 3 triangles however so I'll stick to analogs for these. Really appreciate the comment on the closeness!

I guess my main gripe is actually the phase cancellation that occurs when different notes play. For example, all the synths might be playing C# and F but then when one of them starts playing a different note I get audible phase cancellation. I can even see this in the wave form when I compress the track - it goes from a nice triangle to one with a small notch (don't have a pic, sorry). Any idea how to sort out this kind of thing?

Kiasmos synth sounds 1 year 1 month ago #25196

• forgetso
Thanks very much for the tips, guys. This is what I came up with - soundcloud.com/forgetso/incline

Now, I know this is very similar to the Kiasmos song but I'm just practicing!

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Cron Job Starts