Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Important: how does dropbox work?

Important: how does dropbox work? 3 years 11 months ago #3262

• michaelknead
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Hey guys,

by Tom's request, here is some useful tipps on how drop box works:

• As a pro member on this site, you get the opportunity to use the "pro member's dropbox". Dropbox is a system for sharing files. More information available on www.dropbox.com

• If you have the dropbox application installed on your machine and a folder linked to it, this folder will be an EXACT COPY of what is online. That means that the WHOLE "pro member" content will be copied onto your machine.

• Bear in mind (and this is critical): if you delete things in this folder on your harddrive, it will also be deleted online. If you create a new folder inside the "pro member" folder on your harddrive, this folder will also be created online for everybody.

• Once again, just to make it absolutely clear: The folder that the dropbox application uses on your hard drive (you configure this one when installing the dropbox application) is always an exact mirror of what is online. If you delete stuff in there, it will be removed for everybody. There is no write-protection or something like that so you CAN in fact destroy other people's uploads, if you are not careful.

Conclusion:
If you DON'T WANT ALL THE STUFF on your hard drive that is in the "pro member's" dropbox, please don't use the dropbox application to link it to a local folder on your machine.

Instead, just go to the dropbox website, log in and download the stuff you want. You can do all file management (upload, download, folder creation, etc.) via the dropbox website, too.

Of course you can use dropbox for other things as well - for example collaborating with other people or sharing your own private files across multiple computers. However, bear in mind that you should never delete stuff in the "pro member" folder that you didn't create yourself. Thanks!
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by michaelknead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Important: how does dropbox work? 3 years 11 months ago #3275

• LightChild
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Hi,
I'm new here so apologies in advance. I have my own dropbox there so I am confused about this "Instead, just go to the dropbox website, log in and download the stuff you want."

How do I log in? when I got to dropbox.com, it logs me into my own dropbox....

Re:Important: how does dropbox work? 3 years 11 months ago #3279

• BillyMoon
  • Veteran Member
  • Thank you received: 3
unfortunately right now if you have the drop box app syncing you to a dropbox you can't add another and manage multiple drop boxes on your computer (yet, ... eventually you will)

so in my case ... I have a shared drop box with one account for 5 DJ friends of mine for music... so when I want to check the pro member's drop box I have to open a browser and go online to interact with the pro member drop box via html rather than having a synced folder mounted on my hard drive.

hope that helps!

there is some good info on the dropbox website on the help tab.

-BM

Re:Important: how does dropbox work? 3 years 11 months ago #3288

• LightChild
  • Fundamental (Fresh Boarder)
Thanks for the info. I don't need to have the dropbox app sync to my computer. I just want to access it but can't find the address anywhere so that I can open a browser and do it online.
Address for the dropbox anyone? Also, what login info do I need?
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by LightChild.

Re:Important: how does dropbox work? 3 years 11 months ago #3319

• michaelknead
  • Veteran Member
I'm not sure how Tom manages it but it should be possible to just give him your email address and he will make the pro members' folder available for you. In fact it's nothing more than another shared folder - but in fact one that will soon get pretty heavy :)

Re: Important: how does dropbox work? 3 years 2 months ago #6216

The files seem to be empty in the dropbox at www.cosmcase.com. Is this the dropbox you are talking about?

Re: Important: how does dropbox work? 3 years 1 month ago #6467

• michaelknead
  • Veteran Member
This is pretty outdated, I think it can be removed.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds